chapitre cinque

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour"

- William Blake

Theo was special. Not special in the way all witches and wizards are. He was more than he seemed. This boy, that stood before them, comes from a long line of magic, that can be traced back to noblemen, generals, and kings. Not all members of his family had the gift, but all had something nearly as valuable, a different kind of power that derived from their fortune, and their name.

And yet, Theo's family does not make him anymore special than another rich kid from a rich family. No. Theo was special because all that was forced upon him since a young age, he rejected. His family values, his family titles, and properties, all that he was meant to represent through his last name, he ignored, and dismissed.

In that, Kora found a certain understanding and kinship she treasured greatly in this boy. He was merely a year older than she was, he had wildness in his eyes, and close-lipped grin on his mouth.

Covens have always been a girls' club. And wizards were always seen as inconveniences, barely tolerated, and allowed in the territories to certain extends. It may seem unjust and unfair, but women's positions in society have always been precarious. Misleading hearsays, fleeting rumours behind closed doors, whispers of indecencies and impropriety, and opportunities would disappear, friends would vanish and reputations would be destroyed.

Women never had it easy, and neither did witches. Wizards, in all their manly splendour, with their magic and their money, immersed themselves in ranks and positions of power so much more easily, at whatever costs. Lonely creatures they were, finding their home in manipulations, and their passion in woven lies.

But great things happen when women support other women. And great thing did happen. For millennia, witches have used whatever tricks they had (be it their gifts, or their beauty) to get into positions of power, and they fought hard to keep them.

Animosity was always there between witches and wizards. Theo belonged as much to the coven as did any other human man. His family, and other ancient lines, always considered themselves above the Circle system, preferring to keep their knowledge of magic, and the mystic arts solely in their keep.

The Circles and these ancient families had agreements going back to the Treaties themselves. They had mutual understandings, and would stay out of each other's business. Certain witches and wizards, did not recognise the Supreme's authority, but respected the Witch Laws.

Yet, Theo was special. He was Theo, and he was her friend.

Theodore Van Wyck was beautiful. He was tall and slim, messy dark blonde hair (that in some days, seemed more like a light brown) that fell on his forehead and eyes, in soft curls. His light brow eyes were kind and clever. He favoured the arts, the music, and the poetry. Lanky limbs that may almost seem awkward, but he was a skilled pianist, long fingers that played so much beautiful music.

He barely looked at Kora, before he turned to the Supreme and gave her a curt nod, a small smile gracing his face.

"Supreme Tahlia."

"Theodore, what brings you here?" the Supreme asked in  an unemotional voice, while she continued to eat, barely acknowledging her new guest.

"My father sent me."