The Beginning?

When I first opened my eyes, lying deep in the snow, looking upon the starry night sky for the first time, I felt an indescribable feeling that I would later come to know as warmth. It was a strange feeling that made me feel... safe and contented.

Then the cold came. It seemed to seep into my bones, feeling every hole and space in my body, clouding my senses. I did not shiver. Instead, I welcomed it as a part of me. The cold and I were one. I stood, and as if it I had done it thousands of times, I summoned winter. There was no thought, no control. It was second instinct.

I was the last of the Fae to be made. There was the King and Queen of Summer, of Death, of Autumn, of Light, but I had neither consort nor subjects. They had their own court, made of their own fae, but I had none. I was the Queen of Winter, but Queen was simply a term that the Autumn King gave me to make me feel less... different. I had the brand of a Royal faerie on my shoulder blade, a small strange spiral that spiked outwards, but I had no one to rule over or to take care of.

I didn't mind. I didn't like people. I was accustomed to being alone. There was a sad beauty to silence and loneliness that I liked to appreciate.

I wasn't alone everyday of every year. On the Winter's solstice, the Fae often held a meeting to discuss matters of court. But I had no court to speak of, and I seldom spoke to any of them. It was like being alone. Almost. The closest thing I had to a friend was Leaf, the Light Fae King with a mischivous smile. I had a feeling that we would be closer if the Summer King actually let the different fae visit each other. It was a law: There was to be no contact with the other courts unless needed.

Leaf liked to joke around and tease me about about my home, a house made completely out of ice in the middle of nowhere. I suspected he was lonely too. I did not see the Light Queen, and I did not dare ask him about her. We would be a compatible match, but a painful one. He could never touch me, never hug or hold me. My skin was too cold for any living creature, even the fae, to touch. That did not bother me, but I was sure that Leaf did not share the same sentiment.

Humans liked to think that winter was the most cruel out of the four seasons, and perhaps they were right. Spring brought life out of the dead. Summer brought warmth and love. Autumn gave everything a rustic glow, a sort of colour that was beautiful and sweet. But what did Winter bring? Death? Hunger? Snow would suffocate the Earth for a few months, until Spring came and took it away.

But I was content with my life. I liked my element. I didn't mind not having any subjects or consort, not being much of a talker. I enjoyed silence. And being alone held a strange appeal that was charming for me. At least, that was what I liked to tell myself.

And perhaps that was why I stood, shell shocked, Leaf in close proximity, at the sight of the first faerie in millennia. His lay on a pile of soft looking Autumn leaves. His wings were like then sheens of ice, the veins in them visible. His eyes fluttered open, causing all of us to stiffen. The Summer King took a step back. His eyes were the lightest blue I had ever seen, so light that it was almost white, like first snow.

Fresh snow started to cascade down from the sky.

It clung unto my skin, still solid, reminding me of how isolated I was. How alone.

The Autumn King and Queen, Lazahar and Liva, exchanged looks with each other, before stopping the snow completely. "It is our time, for Autumn to flourish and rule," Liva's voice was gentle. She turned towards me, and nudged her head towards the new faerie. "Snow? Why not you go and welcome one of your court?"

"Snow?" his voice was gritty and rough to my ears, mocking almost. "A faerie taking a human name? We are not humans, love," his strange eyes met mine. I wanted to look away, but I reminded myself that I was strong, that I was the Winter Queen.

"I am Snow, Queen of Winter," I stared back at him. "Now turn and let me see your shoulder."

"There is no need to see if the mark is there. I am the King of Frost, and I have come seeking my wife."

I froze, losing my ability for words. It was Leaf who spoke for me. "How is it possible that a new faerie knows about the mark? Or come seeking his queen?"

"Because," his teeth were gritted. "I am not a new faerie."

"Prove it then," the Death King challenged. "Show us."

"Snow," he beckoned. Leaf shook his head, but I stepped forward anyway. His eyes swept over me, taking in every detail, analyzing and studying . I felt naked, but I lifted my chin. "Give me your hand."

I hesitated, but held my hand out anyway. He took it, and an amazing thing happened. The cold, dominant and all consuming, started... it was almost as if it was leaking out of me. He looked shocked too, as if my touch had unexpected him. An unexplainable warmth swept over me, filling me with heat and a sort of affection.

He opened his palm, and a small pixie flew out, it's shining light almost blinding. It danced around the faerie and I.

"Would a new fae know how to summon a pixie so quickly?"

I could feel the thick tension in the air. The Summer King considered for a moment. "Then where were you made?"

His grip on my hand was tight, but I welcomed it. As long as the cold was gone.

"That does not matter. I have to bring Snow back, to my court. The Fae at home are dying, and I'll be damned if I let anyone else die on me."

-----

AN:

WHAT IS THIS?

This is a random idea. I've been writing this for a few days, but I'm not quite satisfied with my work. Well, unedited.

Probably not going to update or shite. I haven't even planned until the next chapter :/

Ah well.