Reconnecting

A/n: First off I just want to send a biggggggg thank you to everyone who is following this story. It's so true to my real life that it's basically nonfiction, and it's been really difficult to write this - not only because there's a lot to remember but because I have to relive some upsetting events (as well as really great events - so it balances out). Also I have no idea if people care at all about who is writing this but I will give you a little background about me just in case: My name is Sam (Samantha) and my boyfriend's name is John. He's 24 and I'm 21- soon to be 22. This is our story as told through Larry - sometimes with a bit of added fluff. I hope you're enjoying it! 

Also - I almost never go past 30-40 chapters for a story but I think this is gonna be a longer one. I planned to stop a long time ago, but I've been getting so many wonderful comments that I've decided to finish it up until present day- so we still have another year and a half of the relationship to cover. Obviously, I will fast forward a lot, but it's gonna take a bit of time to write up nonetheless. 

Anyways, enough babbling - let's get on with it, yeah?

Harry's POV

I've been in Spain for two weeks now. So far, I've finished my prep courses, gone on a bunch of tours throughout the city, and visited the Alhambra, an ancient castle whose beauty does not compare to anything I've ever seen before. 

On the tours, I try to talk to my peers as much as I can, but like I said before, I'm shy and a bit quirky in big groups.  I've tried befriending some of the quieter kids, hoping it would be easier to connect with them. The thing is, some of them are even more shy than I am, and we both just stand there making awkward small talk until things fizzle out. 

Oh, well. Maybe I'll try a new approach on the next trip.

Tomorrow I start my classes at the University of Granada. I'm literally enrolling directly in the university here - and all of the classes will be taught in Spanish. All of them. I'm not sure I'm too prepared for that, especially considering I can hardly follow some of the emails my advisor has been sending me. But my host family keeps telling me how good my Spanish is, and I guess I should just believe them.

When I say host family, though, I mean my host mother, Carmen, as she's the only one in the house who will interact with me. She's not the nicest lady on the block - and she usually talks to me in the form of commands. "Harry, ven a comer!" and "Harry, la ropa limpia!" are her favorite ones - Harry, come eat and Harry, come get your laundry. Other than that, we don't really talk much. 

When we sit down to have lunch - all three of us, Carmen, Natalia, and me - Carmen and Natalia talk to each other like I'm not there. Maybe they think I can't understand what they're saying, but I clearly can. Sometimes, I try to chime in and ask Natalia a few questions to break the ice, but Natalia ignores me as if I never said anything, and Carmen will answer the question for her. 

After a few days of that, I decided Natalia was either really rude or really crazy, and stopped trying to get on her good side. Carmen and I chat sometimes after Natalia leaves the table, and she seems to be able to understand me pretty well. Carmen said I have good pronunciation, which I wholeheartedly disagree with, but I decided to just take the compliment and thank her anyways. 

Tonight, before I go to bed, I decide to Skype Louis and update him on how things are going here in Spain. We've Skyped a few times here and there in the past week, but not for too long. I just didn't have the energy to deal with him, or the desire to look him in the eyes. 

Before I left for Spain, Louis gave me a journal for Christmas with a map of the world on it. I've been using it a ton lately, trying to work out my feelings about him, about Spain, about everything. I feel so overwhelmed lately that I want to cry, and sometimes I do.