The Court Jester: Chapter 2

Panic struck her as Caridee's mind raced. The leader of the troops made quick in his advancements to where she was and she knew not what to do. Caridee inched her way towards the opposite side of the rooftop that neared the forest line and hoped with all her might that she would not attract any attention.

Grateful that she could hear the captain's murmured voice from the other side, she stealthily dropped herself onto the haystack below. Thinking that she had made too much noise from her fall she hurriedly darted for the safety of the trees. Pressing her back against the thick trunk of an oak tree, she panted and huffed as her nerves began to get the best of her. She reprimanded herself for her slip of control and shook her head to clear her mind.

She had to get Karen. That was her only goal. She would not abandon the one person who cared for her. She was about to step away from the shadows when a twig snapped from behind her. She fought to control her breathing and she crushed herself closer to the tree trunk.

Gathering herself, she peeked around the edge of the tree and wished she hadn't. She cursed under her breath before she dashed away from the tree trunk, running further into the forest. He saw her! She shouted inwardly at herself for her stupidity. How could she have been so foolish!

Caridee pumped her legs more as she heard him advancing behind her. She arched her arms above her head, feebly trying to protect her face from the whipping branches. Her heart pounded in her ears that she faintly thought he had ceased in chasing her but her legs wouldn't stop. They kept her going and going, not having the foggiest idea of where she was heading.

It wasn't until she heard the sound of rushing water did she force herself to a stop. Cursing herself once more, she kept herself hidden in the shadows as the water glistened from the moonlight. She rummaged through her memories trying to grasp any recollection of a river.

"Ah, yes!" She whispered as she remembered where she was. It was the biggest river they had, she used to escape here often whenever she got in trouble as a child. It was about a mile away from the castle grounds and she hoped that the man had really did end his pursuit.

Fixing the cap that hid her hair she traced her memory as she eyed the stream. If she was correct, travelling upstream would lead her to the bridge that many merchants used as they ventured to other lands. She sighed and thought that it was at least a start. Hopefully the gods were on her side and would keep her safe.

Caridee thanked the Heavens that the gushing water roared loud enough to musk any noise she made. To be careful however, she treaded lightly and felt with her boot for any twigs and debris that she might snap should she step on them.

So far she had done a marvelous job at not making a sound, grateful for all those days she spent as a child sneaking and stealing food from the market before she was taken as jester to the court after her father passed away. Caridee was already making plans in her mind of what to do once she reached the bridge when she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. Cold terror rushed through her veins. She had completely forgotten about her pursuer, dismissing him as if he had already left. She should have known better. No man gives up easily.

Before she could make a break for it and dive into the perilous water, she was roughly grabbed around the waist and crushed against a broad chest with a dagger to her throat. It seems the gods were punishing her for her trickery as a child. Damn them.

"I'll give it to you, boy," the man sneered from behind her, "you are quite the runner. Too bad your efforts were fruitless." He chuckled darkly in her ear and she briefly wondered why he thought her a boy. It didn't take long before it dawned on her that she was dressed in men's clothing.

"Now, let's get back to my men. I would be bedding a woman and asleep by now if it weren't for your little game," the man snarled. "But I couldn't very well let another potential slave run off now could I?"