Chapter 1

Oliver!" Called my mom.

As my mom called I started running down stairs and darted towards the front door. I was stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of my mom sobbing on the couch, my dad's best friend from the military standing at the door, and his daughter, my best friend Natasha, behind him tearing up. Even our German shepherd Princess was whimpering in her kennel, she sensed the horrible news. What gave it away for me was Nathan, my dad's partner in his blue uniform. I couldn't accept this news. My dad... dead. I just couldn't process it. It was his last month, then he could retire. How could this happen? Why him? I don't wanna be here anymore! I dropped down to my hands and knees and my heart started beating extremely fast. Too fast for me to comprehend. Is this really how it is suppose to end? I couldn't breathe and I started hyperventilating.

"His asthma!" my mom yelled out.

Nathan ran to me, flipped me over, and carried me to his Jeep Cherokee. He laid me in the back seat as I started to black out. The last thing I remember was princess jumping in the car right next to me, and...

Natasha.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"That was a close one Miss. Rawick" the doctor said looking at his clipboard that had all of my medical information.

"He should be fine and will be released in a few hours."

"Thank you." my said mom with a glum look

I was still in shock. My dad died and I almost joined him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I got home I immediately ran to my room and slammed my door shut. Shutting everyone out. I laid in bed under the covers and I didn't want to move. I felt like a part of me died when I heard the news. The part of me I couldn't live without. At least school is starting in a week and my friends are awesome. Whenever I am down, they're the people I go to. They always cheer me up, but I don't wanna tell them. I can't say the sentence without bursting out in tears. Only time will tell.

I stayed in room all day and fell asleep. When I woke up I saw my clock and it read 8:56 pm and it was pitch black. I thought about leaving my room, but I am too sad and tired. Then I heard princess scratching at the door so I got out of bed and opened the door. She tackled me down and started licking my face. My face was soaked by her kisses. She jumped on my bed and laid down. My emotions got a hold of me and I laid by her and started crying. She didn't leave my side all night.