Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My fingers traced the edge of a glass jar filled with sand and shells. The sun from the window gleamed over the inscription in the metal.

"Brooklyn"

I absentmindedly tapped my foot while staring mindlessly into the jar. My dad gave it to me when I was little, before my parents got divorced and he moved away to Arizona. I lived with my mom in California, but I've always been closer to my dad. It's a treat to see him every now and then. But my mom probably despises him now.

I look up when I heard a click-clacking on the wood floor. My Jack Russell Terrier, Freckles, came to greet me. My mom let me get a dog about three years ago, right before she got divorced. He was a very tiny puppy then.

After "dancing" in the streaked sunlight, he settled on the couch next to the window.

I became bored of sitting and doing nothing, so I walked upstairs into my room.

I glanced in the mirror to smile and see my brown hair and eyes paired with the freckles dotted on my nose. Unlike most girls,I liked what I saw.

I let a breath out and sat at my desk in front of my laptop which I had just flipped open.

I heard a beep, and scrolled around for my instant messenger. My friend, Cassandra, messages me.

Hey, beach tomorrow 1 pm?

I smirked and typed back.

Sure lemme ask my mom

I lazily stood up from my chair and turned to my mom's room. I gave the door a short knock.

"What do you need?", my mom called. I pulled the door open and stepped in.

Stacks of her clothes were piled on her bed or on the floor, and two suitcases lay open on the floor.

"Oh, are you busy?", I asked.

She shook her head.

"I'm just packing for a week long trip to see my sister next week. What do you need?"

I glanced to the suitcases and said, "Well Cassandra asked if I could go to the beach tomorrow at one."

"Sure, tell her that I'll drop you off."

I smiled and hopped back to my room.

With nothing else to do, I surfed the Internet for awhile.

A/N: Sorry it's so short and ends so abruptly, I really want to work on the next part.

It shall be worth the wait :)