ONE

PROLOGUE

The birth of a child was a joyous occasion. He kept careful track of every single birth in His domain, and though He allowed His duxaltu to watch over the birth of serfs, He was always there for the birth of a therapon or Master's child.

"The child is born!" a caretaker cried, barely poking a head out of the Birthing Chamber.

Erusidamus let out a sigh of relief. He had been present the few times a child had been stillborn or died soon after birth, and He had hated it. Those tiny bodies lying there, so still and cold looking, the skin turning blue, and the looks on the parents' faces as they gazed down on their child--a child that died before it even had a chance to live. It was a painful and lonely thing.

He waited two more hours after the birth, giving them time to clean the child and feed it and care for it a little. He spent His time completing some leftover paperwork and generally kicking His heels. It would have been easier for Him to just leave after He received word of the child's birth, and maybe if He had been another Master He might have, but He was the Master of Gold and He took His every responsibility seriously.

"We are ready for You now, Master," a gentle-faced caretaker said. This was the kind of person anyone would feel comfortable with, sweet and kind with the kind of presence that bespoke of love for all the little newborns. There was something nice about thinking of a baby in this tender care. A part of Him could almost feel a bit jealous that He had ever had to grow up.

One of His guards held the door for Him to pass into the Birthing Chamber.

The parents stood off to one side, silent and composed. They had had time to prepare for His arrival and knew better than to attempt unwelcome conversation with Him. They were barely worth His notice, just two therapons.

The baby lay naked on the displaying table. A caretaker stood close to ensure that the baby stayed safe, but basically it was alone. It would face its first meeting with the Master completely unguarded, its mind open and malleable in its innocence, none of life's protections laid in place yet.

Erusidamus surveyed the child. Saw that it had the correct number of fingers and toes and was otherwise whole. It was an adorable baby, pink and beautiful and brand new. It was precious looking, with damp red curls and almond-shaped eyes, the kind of child He had always dreamed of having Himself someday. Seeing these children always gave Him a sense of the inevitable, His life of the future pressing back in on Him stronger than He had ever imagined. If He closed His eyes in these moments He could almost See the child He would have, could almost catch a glimpse of the partner He would share it with. It caused an ache in His chest that took days to dispel.

"The child's name?" He looked at the parents.

"Ash... Ashlevarnis, Master," the voice was hesitant and nervous.

Erusidamus nodded and looked back at the child. "Ashlevarnis. Ashes and bones. That is a name with history behind it. I am sure your child will grow into the greatness of the name you have given it."

The parents smiled, relieved.

It had been known that if He did not approve of a child's name, the child would have to be named again. The parents had been so certain of the name they had chosen for their child that they had been unable to think of a secondary or even third choice if the first was unacceptable. Neither one knew what they would have done if the Master had denied them the use of the name.

Drawing in a deep breath, Erusidamus reached out and touched the child on the forehead. His fingers warmed, the tips almost burning. He could feel the energy emanating from His center to pass down His arms and through His hands. The true test of His power was His ability to control the force of it--an energy that could topple whole cities focused down to a mere pinprick of heat.