Doctor Who New Year's Eve: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“And that’s how your father and I met.” Mrs. Nightingale smiled and took her husband’s hand. She smiled at him and afterward at her son, Larry who was sitting across from her. Her eyes then wondered to Sally. She frowned. She disapproved of her greatly. She marked Sally as a troublemaker and a heartbreaker. She had never liked her but had tolerated her since she was a friend and roommate of her daughter, Lucy. Lucy was gone but now she had to deal with her for her son’s sake.

Sally disliked her boyfriend’s mother just as much or more then she liked her. But she wouldn’t dare let Larry know that. Sweet sweet Larry. Sally looked at him as he took the last bite of his meal. She believed that she loved him or at least she could. They had been through so much together, but did she really want to settle down yet? She was still young and there was so much adventure out there waiting for her.

“Sally, Larry how did you two meet?” Mr. Nightingale asked. Larry’s father was a kind and nice man but a little strict when it came to raising children. His ultimate goal had been to keep them in line, unfortunately he had just pushed them away.

“Uh…” Larry looked at her, a secret glint in his eye. The story of how they met would scare even the oldest of people from sleeping. Weeping stone angels that if you looked away or blinked for less than a second, they would send you to another time. That’s how Lucy became….lost. But she had left a note assuring that she was happy and not to grieve.

Sally smiled. “Oh nothing romantic just we both happened to be helping out a friend.” It was true, if you considered the time traveling man a friend. She had only talked to him in person once and even then he had no idea who she was. Not until later at least….

She stood up and began to help putting away the dishes. The faster they cleaned up the faster she could get away from his judgment filled parents. “So how has it been between you two?” Sally sighed, here it was. “Any talk of….engagement or children?”

At the mention of it Sally flinched and dropped the fragile plate. It fell to the ground and shattered, the room was suddenly eerily silent. “Oh I am so sorry!” Sally fell to her knees and began to pick up the pieces. If Larry’s mother didn’t like already she wouldn’t certainly hate her now. Not that she cared. The old bag could rot in-

“It’s fine dear.” Mrs. Nightingale took the pieces from her. “Just a plate from one of my best sets….”

Larry scratched his head and gave Sally a sympathetic expression. “We should probably head out. It’s getting late and-”

“No Larry you mustn’t leave now. We have to watch the ball drop! We have an excellent view from our window!” Mrs. Nightingale began to frantically wave her hands in the air. Sally took a hold of Larry’s arm and pulled him to the door.

“Oh that’s fine! Larry and I were just going to go down to the square to watch it.” Sally grabbed her purse and swung open the door.

“Well then we’ll come with you.” She pushed the door closed before Sally could get out.

Sally saw the challenging look in her eyes and stepped forward. “I doubt you would want to. All those loud young people cheering and screaming while gulping down cheep champagne.”

“Try me.” She growled.

“Mum….” Larry intervened and looked down at his mother. “We’ll stop by tomorrow. Goodnight.” He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. Sally gave her a gloating look and reopened the door.

“Yes, goodnight Mrs. Nightingale, Mr. Nightingale.” She grabbed the back of Larry’s shirt and pulled him out of the room then shut the door.

She sighed and leaned against the hotel hallway. Larry’s parents had rented a room from one of the most luxuries hotels in New York. It was just Sally’s luck that they would also be in New York that very week also. Larry had suggested they have dinner with his parents.