prologue

{not edited}

prologue

When I was younger, I was one of those kids that was obsessed with fairytales and cheesy love stories. I had many princess costumes and more than one pair of glass (well, plastic) slippers.

However, contrary to popular belief, I utterly despised everything Disney. I thought that it was just a little over the top; something I only discovered when I kissed an old toad down at the park and waited for the animal to turn into a prince.

Oh, how naive I once was.

Now, don't get me wrong, I loved Cinderella's ballgown and Rapunzel's long golden locks, but I wanted a love story of my own. My own prince to love, my own palace to live in, my own beautiful children to raise.

Eventually, I did get my own love story. Just not in the way you'd expect.

I once heard a story about a young couple who loved each other very much.

On Christmas Day, the boy got his girlfriend a pretty pendant necklace that shone brightly, even in broad daylight. He told her that every time it glowed he loved her with all of his heart.

She smiled and slipped it on around her neck without hesitation. They kissed and enjoyed the fireworks shooting up into the sky.

Not a week later she discovered that he was cheating on her with her best friend. And yet, the necklace didn't lose its shine.

I guess what the main point was is that love can complete or destroy you. Beautiful and tragic at the same time.

You see, love is like oxygen. It consumes us in every hair follicle, chromosome, muscle, and cell in our bodies. It surrounds everywhere in any shape or form of anything and everything. No one can escape it.

Not even me.

~