Chapter 30

Chapter Thirty

Jealousy flooded Chase's blood like poison. He forced himself to breathe, to not react like an idiot.

"You didn't have to follow me, Eric," Lacy said. "I told you I was fine."

Chase scowled. So this was the impatient vet who'd wanted to share sin with his woman. Maybe I should act like an idiot.

Eric brushed a hand up against Lacy's arm. "What kind of guy would I be if I didn't make sure you got home safely?"

A dead man if you touch her again. Chase doubled his fist when he saw the man lower his face. Lacy turned her head, and the man's lips only landed on her cheek. Nevertheless, Chase didn't want the man's lips anywhere near her.

"Thanks for letting me hang out with you at the clinic." Lacy put her hand on his chest to ward off another kiss. "I should go in. It's been a long day."

Chase decided to give the man two seconds to get Lacy's send-off message before he offered his own send-off. Much to his disappointment, Eric shrugged and walked away. Lacy watched him drive off, then she turned to unlock her door.

She stepped inside and dropped her purse on the antique sewing machine. Standing a few feet inside the dining room, Chase didn't move, didn't make a sound. She must have sensed him, because she swung around.

"Oh, God! You scared the pee out of me!"

His gaze moved over her body, wrapped in red silk. The dress's neckline dipped low, showing off the soft swells of her breasts. The waist hugged her figure, and the hem of the dress fell an inch above mid-thigh, leaving all that leg exposed. Chase didn't know much about women's fashions, but he knew when a woman dressed like that she was on the make.

"You went out with Eric?" he asked.

Her eyes squinted with what looked like anger. But he was too busy dealing with his own fury to worry about hers.

"How did you get in?" She crossed her arms over her middle, causing the scooped neckline to lower.

"You went out with him?" he asked again.

"What business is that of yours?"

"I'm making it my business!" He waved a hand up and down. "Do you know what that dress says?"

She looked down as if needing a reminder of what she wore. "It says, 'get out of my house,'" she snapped. "No, wait. That's what I'm saying. Get out, Chase."

He ignored her. "It says, 'Take me off.' When a woman wears a dress like that she doesn't intend to keep it on very long."

"How would you know?" she said. "Does Jessie have one just like it?" Turning on her red-pump heels, she took one step then swung back around. "Call me selfish. Blame it on the fact that I'm an only child and I never learned to share. But I refused to share Brian with the professor, or Peter with his secretary, and I won't share you with Jessie."

Chase raked a hand over his face and stared at her. "Why are you bringing up Jessie?"

"You slept with her. I know I'm just a vanilla wafer. And that's what happens to vanilla wafers. But someday I'll find a guy who loves vanilla wafers so much that he won't need to go sampling other cookies."

Confusion filled Chase as he tried to decipher her meaning. "I was completely up front with you about Jessie." He took two steps toward her and got a whiff of perfume. Delicious. "You can't be mad about that now."

"Oh, I see." Her tone rang with fourteen-carat sarcasm. "You told me about her and so that makes it okay to sleep with her. Well, if that's the way it works, you knew about Eric, too. So put the key back under the dog poop and leave."