Chapter 5

We spent the time we had in five minutes intervals.  We would talk for five minutes, then would always find a way for that talking to lead to kissing.  We would lie there and make out until we got a little too heated, then stopped ourselves before we took it any further. 

I learned a lot in those two hours we had alone.  There were serious things and some not so serious.  Some of those being:

-he hated the word horny (understandable)

-he had a bad habit of digging his nails into his hands when he was nervous (which had left a few finger nail shaped scars on his palms)

-he had never eaten cereal before

-he'd been using the same kind of cologne since he was thirteen (three years of smelling great)

We were so caught up in all the talking, laughing, and kissing, that I didn't hear my mom's car pull into the garage.  When I heard her footsteps coming up the stairs, I was sitting on Richie's hips, letting him run his hands under my shirt while we kissed.

I panicked and jumped, falling off the bed and landing on my back, just like I had this morning.  I grabbed a textbook and a notebook off my desk and dropped the notebook in Richie's lap. 

"I thought you were going to tell her." Richie said quietly, sitting up and rushing to the other side of the bed.

"I will.  Just not now."

Before he could say anything else, my mom walked through the door.

"Noah, I got you a-" she began, then noticed Richie. "Oh, hello."

"Hey, mom.  This is my friend, Richie."

"Hi." Richie smiled.

"Are you boys studying? On a Friday?" she asked.

"I just moved here." Richie told her. "Noah is helping me catch up on some notes."

"Oh.  Okay.  Well I'll be downstairs if you need me."  she said, smiling at Richie.

She left the room, closing the door behind her.  I guess she didn't suspect us of anything. 

When I heard her footsteps going back downstairs, I stopped holding my breath.

"I think that went well." Richie smiled. 

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, there were no signs that she didn't like me."

"Well, yeah.  It's nice when she approves of my friends." I shrugged.

"It's even nicer though, when she approves of your boyfriend.   Isn't it?"

I watched his smile grow.  But I just stared at him for a second.  That word was so shocking.

"Now, before you say anything about the fact that we met this morning, hear me out." he began, "I don't totally understand what I feel.  But I know that I have never had such strong feelings for anyone.  The fact that it happened so fast makes me feel even better about it.  Unless I'm crazy, you like me too.  And if we both can agree on that then I don't see a reason to wait for a few weeks until it seems like an acceptable amount of time has passed."

I still just stared at him.  I didn't think he was crazy.  I thought it was amazing how easily he could talk about his feelings.  I completely understood what he was saying, and I agreed with it too.  If we already knew what we wanted, what did we gain from waiting?  Why not just be happy now

Richie dropped the textbook I'd given him on the ground, then just watched me.  I didn't know how to answer him.  He never actually asked a question.  So did I just say yes? Would that make sense?  I decided it wouldn't, so I just closed the space between us again.