PH to NZ (Week 3)

Peter,

I can’t believe you sent this back! I can buy my own godawful expensive notebook. But I probably won’t, no matter how smooth and lush these pages are.

I’m keeping the pen though. It’s very nice, thank you, and I’ve been using it to sign memos and I feel very me while doing it, all of a sudden. Work has been difficult lately, but it’s the same old boring thing I used to tell you. It’s nice to be able to rebel a little bit, and try to keep a bit of my personality even when they want me to be exactly like everyone else.

The other thing that happened because of the pen? I got a compliment from one of the VPs at work. She’s a big deal around here, and she spoke to me for the first time ever to ask where I got it. And that she wanted to show me hers. What is it with you pen people, seriously? Showing each other your pens. But I smiled and said of course, and we’re having coffee sometime next week. Do you think I’ll get a promotion out of this? What should I say?

Don’t send this back to me, by the way. I know you find it cute, and you’re extremely proud of your pens and fancy writing, but it costs over a thousand bucks to send this to you, you know that? I don’t want this going through regular mail so I spend a little more. I can only imagine how much it costs you, and you’re being a starving teacher/grad student guy right now. Send me an email, if you really want to talk to me. I’m not (that) angry anymore, I swear.

Roxie