Chapter 10

Brielle

2:12 PM

"Should we watch Clueless or Mean Girls tonight? Because Clueless is so iconic but mean girls is hilarious."

Sam stood by my locker as I got out my things, trying to get me to decide on a movie. I knew that I should be paying attention to what she was saying, but my mind was elsewhere. I was still thinking about what Christopher had told me yesterday. Today was the anniversary of his parent's death, and I couldn't imagine what he was going through.

My eyes scanned down the hallway, hoping to catch a glance of him. He wasn't at school today, but something inside me hoped that I would see him and know he was alright.

I let out a yawn, rubbing my eyes in the process. If someone had told me two weeks ago that I would care about Christopher's feelings, I would have laughed in their face. But even though we weren't friends, I just couldn't help it.

"Hello?" Sam said, snapping her fingers in front of my face. "Earth to Brielle."

My attention refocused on her as I shut my locker. "Any movie is fine with me."

She rolled her eyes, annoyed. "I just listed the pros and cons of both movies for five minutes just for you to say that you don't care?"

I shrugged my shoulders, making my way to the parking lot with her.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "I was thinking about something else."

"You've been sidetracked the entire day," she squinted her eyes, inspecting me. "Is everything OK with you?"

"Yes," I said, brushing her off. "Everything's fin- "

I cut myself off, my eyes growing wide. "Crap, sorry Sam but I have to clean the bleachers today!"

Since Christopher wasn't here today, I would have to do double the amount of work. If I didn't get started soon, I would be there forever. I turned away from her car, doing a slow jog towards the stadium.

"I knew you were side tracked!" she called after me, shaking her head in amusement. I turned around and blew her a kiss before booking it to the field.

When I did arrive, I was surprised to see Christopher there, already scraping at the benches. He kept his head down as he worked, his back muscles rippling in the process. I silently grabbed my scraper from the bucket beside him as I got to work. Every now and then, I would sneak a peek at his face, trying to catch a glimpse of an emotion. But his face was stone cold, his feelings masked from the outside world.

We went on like this for an hour. Me, secretly looking, and him, completely oblivious. When he put his spatula in the bucket and got up, I followed suit, wanting to talk to him. After we had put the tools away, I headed with him to the parking lot, despite my plans to walk home. Once we were halfway there, I finally mustered up the courage to say something.

"I noticed that you weren't here today." As soon as I spoke I mentally face palmed myself, realizing that I sounded like a stalker. "Not that I was looking for you or anything. I was just curious on where you were. But you're here which is good. Unless it's not good, which is good too I guess."

I took a deep breath in, trying to stop my rambling. "What I meant to say is why are you here if you weren't at school?" My face was red, embarrassment flowing through my body.

He smiled at me, amused at how flustered I was. Even though it was at my expense, I was happy that I could cheer him up.

"I got a call from my coach saying that if I didn't come he would be forced to bench me."