12

The night air is clearer out here. We ran a solid couple of miles. We shot anyone in our way. There were a lot of people. We finally come to a stop when we see the blur of colors as the sun starts to rise.

I collapse to the hard forest floor.

"We can't stay long. They could be following us." warns Casey.

"I need a break." I say through deep breathes. It doesn't feel like I'm breathing but I know I'm alive. The pain makes that very clear.

"come on, Reed. Catch your breath so we can go."

I sit up and look at him, loading his gun. He looks just fine. Sweaty, but fine.

"what is wrong with you?" I ask.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing, Miss President."

I stand up but I don't run to him. I just stare. Wondering how a monster could look so much like a teenage boy.

"we just killed dozens of people."

"yep." he shrugs.

"we almost died ourselves."

"it was close." he says simply.

"Ronan is dead."

This time he looks at me.

"I know." but still no emotion.

"did you hear me? Your best friend is dead!"

He throws up his arm in frustration.

"what do you want from me?! We are alive! I did my job!"

"which was?!" I scream bitterly.

"to keep you alive! I was told to make sure that you didn't die! No matter what! Help no one, kill everyone. That was my mission. And all things considered I think I succeeded."

I'm taken back. Why would anyone want to keep me alive? I'm useless.

"who told you to do this?" I ask softly.

"my dad"

"oh, so if your dad told you to kill me would you do it?"

"yes." I take a large step away from him.

"so you would do what ever your father says, even if you knew in your heart that is was wrong?"

He steps closer to me, his breath on my face.

"Yes." he turns his back away and starts to walk.

"right. I forgot. You don't have a heart." I call to him and follow, not wanting to be left behind.

We walk for hours. Mile after mile. I feel my lungs constricting and my heart beating too fast it's impossible to count. My head starts to feel dizzy and heavy. Like one leg holding up the whole chair. My eye lids start to get heavy and my breathing starts coming in slow, uneven breaths. I stop in my tracks as I realize what's happening to me.

"Casey. I need to stop. Now." I say.

He sighs deeply and turns around to me. He's a good couple of feet ahead of me. Both of his arms hanging over his rifle which balances on the back of his neck.

"what now?"

"it's that time of the month." I say.

His eyes go wide and his rifle drops and his body starts to twitch.

"ah! I don't want to know about your female problems!" he exclaims picking up his gun. I slap my palm on my forehead and cringe at what Casey thought I was implying.