...Chapter 10...

I stared at the ground, in stupefaction.

He continued to talk.
"Liv, you know, I've been missing you. Do you ever miss me?"
He climbed lower in the tree to where his breath felt hot on my neck.
"I know you miss me." He taunted, his voice echoing in the halls of my brain.
I went to look at my ex-boyfriend when he climbed higher in the tree. Letting my curiosity linger a little longer as to why he was here.
I looked up at the snake intertwined in the leaves and he was on the highest branch that could hold his weight. He was looking out into the distance like he was earlier.
"James, what are you doing here?" I asked with a touch of madness.
"Liv, stop pretending to be mad, you know you are happy to see me." He said with a scoff.
I didn't know how he knew, but I was a little happy to see him. Of course I could have gone without his smart remarks and his salty attitude, but I needed some drama in my life. It seemed like life with Cole was just too good to be true. As much as I loved being with him, I felt confused for the way I felt about James now.
"You didn't answer my question." I persisted.
He slid down a branch, and then another, and then another. He was on the branch closest to me and he leant his face close to mine. I could feel his breath on my face and I was not sure if I liked it.
"Olivia, I am here because of you. Why do you think?" He said pulling out of our locked eye contact and jumping down from the tree.
He paced back and forth and I wondered what was on his mind.
"James, why me? Why did you come for me?" I asked. Nothing made sense. It did not make sense for Cole to come back to me, but for James to come back, it felt too strange. I did not message them to come or even beckon them in my mind! Even when I do that it never works, but here they are. My old boy interests magnetizing to me for no reasonable explanation.
"Do you remember the Fourth of July when we first started dating? We were about to watch the fire works and I said I would follow you. Like you were my master and I was your dog. I meant that, Liv. Every last word, and I am trying to be loyal."
I thought over what he said. I remembered that. It had been really cute at the time, but I didn't take it as literal as he apparently was.
His hands cupped my face as he was trying to make sure I understood what he was saying. I nodded and took his hands in mine.
"James, I am with Cole Timber now, I hope you know that. I do not want to hurt him anymore than his past already has. You cannot do this to me. Not now. Not anymore." I looked at him hoping he understood. I could see his face get red with embarrassment and some anger. I put my hands on his face and kissed his cheek.
"What we had was nice, but there's a reason it had to end. We need to stay apart, it's just the way things have to be." I whispered in his ear and then walked back to the apartment.
I opened the room door quietly making sure not to wake Cole. I walked into his room and he was sitting on the edge of the bed. I jumped out of shock when I saw him.
"Where did you go?" He asked rubbing his eyes.
"Just for a walk, I'm back now, go back to sleep." I said, I put down my jacket and sat next to him on the end of the bed.
I leant my head on his shoulder and held his hands rubbing his knuckles with my hands.
He leant down his head on mine and I knew I only wanted to be with Cole.
He made me feel happy and safe. Safer than I've felt in a while.

The safest I've felt my whole life.