Chapter 1-Kyra

Chapter 1

Kyra's P.O.V

I shoot up in bed. What kind of dream was that? It wasn't a nightmare, but it sure as hell creeped me out! Mostly the only thing I remember are those piercing orange eyes and a voice saying "I'm coming for you, my love." I don't know about you, but if something in my dream was telling me that, I'd be creeped out. I look at my alarm clock. 3:46am, great. I have 3 hours till I actually have to be and then go to school at 8. My birthday was starting out so well. I get up and and pad across the hardwood floor to my bathroom. I turn on the light and walk to the mirror hanging over the sink. Boy, do I look like a mess. My normally smooth, silky, black hair now looked like birds were nesting there, my normally blemish free face now looked sunken in, plus I had black circles under my eyes. I look horrid. I turn on the shower and strip off my blue tank top and shorts that I had worn that night and run my hand under the water. My water takes forever to heat up! I turn the dial some more, run my hand under the water again and step in. The hot water was definitely helping me forget about that dream. It was almost like I had a dream stalker. I laugh at the thought and and put a glob of my lavender shampoo and scrub it through my scalp. The smell of lavender filled the bathroom. I smile and sight. I love the smell of lavender. My mom used to pick me lavender in the field behind our house when I was little. It was probably the happiest memory we shared. I close my eyes and think back.

Flashback:

Me and mommy were laying in the fields, looking up at the clouds. It was perfect outside. The sun was raining down on us and the breeze felt amazing. Me and mommy were trying to count all the clouds and see what kind of shapes they made. Then she turns to me and smiles, and I smile back. She was beautiful. She was skinny and had curly black hair and big brown eyes. Her face was blemish free, with the exception of a few freckles from being in the sun so much. But they made her even more beautiful, if you ask me. 

"Kyra," she said.

"Yes, mamma?"

"I want you to remember that I'm always here. Even if I'm not, I'm always here, watching over you." Even as she's smiling, saying those words, I could feel the hurt. I frown, and reach over and touch her cheek with my tiny hand. She smiled and overlapped my hand with hers. 

"Everything will be alright, Kyra." She rolls over, picks something, and hands it to me. A piece of lavender. I giggle and take it from her, grinning from ear to ear. Mommy knew lavender was my favorite.

"I love you, momma!" I say.

"I love you too, baby," She says, stoking my hair.

End of Flashback.

That day was the last day with my mom. She died in a car crash the next morning, while she was on her way to work. I take a deep breath and grab my conditioner, squeeze some in the palm of my hand and spread it through my hair. I finish up, grab the towel on the bar over the toilet, wrap it around me and step out of the bathroom. Why does the house have to be so cold?, I think. I race to my room, put on a bra, underwear, a red v-neck long sleeve shirt, and blue skinnies. As I'm about to blow dry my hair, I hear an irritated honk from my bestie, Brittney. I glance at the clock. 7:55 am. CRAP, I'm going to be late. I pull my hair up in a ponytail, grab my bag, and race out of the door.

"Jeez, girl! What took you so long?" She says and she backs out.

"Oh, just trying to look my best, ya know." I say with a laugh.

"Mhm, she smiles. "Since it's your birthday, I'll let that slide."

I laugh again and quickly put my seat belt on, and remind myself no more long thinking in the shower anymore.