II

"Why did you take this choice?" were her first words once they were safely retreated in the queens office.

The Queen did not look at al all unsettled, in fact, she sat comfortably in her smaller throne jerking her mail of her gown. Anaya waited outside like a guard on post, she was always on guard when it came to the Queen. Jabel sat directly in front of her, demanding answers to all of her unspoken questions.

"I know we just discussed this morning about your future as a queen, and I was negative in making it. But along with the smart elders in the village I've come to my senses and agreed that the only way for you to realize what importance this is, is to do it in first hand." The queen stared at the lit candle before saying her next words. "I will always be there for you when you need assistance and help on the decisions. After all, I made this kingdom from scratch; so I know it better than anyone."

A rush of emotions climbed in Jabel's heart. Could she do this? She would. It was a destiny and even though she was afraid at the moment she would learn with time the implications and accept them as home. She stared at the golden ring siting lonely in her finger, it was poorly molded the 'P' barely standing out. The Queen reached for her hand, stroking smoothly the golden ring in now Jabel's finger.

"This, my young, is more than just an old heirloom." Her strokes being softer as if it were a shard of glass, the memories floating over her eyes. "You already know the story. It belonged to the first man in conquering our land, the first one to start the horrible era of chauvinism. Conqueror after conqueror they ruled under this ring, the power of oppression. It was meant to stay in the hands of men, in symbol of everlasting monarchy, of male dependency." A cruel laugh escaped Eloisa at the thought. "Yet, the last king was weak and I seized him. You see, the ring belong to us. We will never be under anyone, never in the shadows or slave. We are more than what our ancestors dreamed of."

Jabel felt little under the hard gaze of her mother, always inspecting and never expecting.

"When will the coronation happen?" she murmured.

"Not so far, I couple of weeks I suggest. I will make an agreement with the elders for the correct timing. Don't worry, young. You have plenty of time ahead of you." At that the candle flickered, revealing the dark bags under her eyes which only meant that the usual nightmares of the Queen had returned.

"You are still young, a child. But once a Queen you will understand that sometimes it takes more than just actions. Sometimes it means sacrificing more than yourself." The candle finally went out.

Everyone cheered for Jabel and asked infinity of questions. When will the coronation be? What will be the first thing she will do as a Queen? Are you excited? Apparently everyone was jollier than her, she wanted peace to think of what was to come and what she would have to endure. War was for sure, people would at her more often for reassurance that even she didn't have. Why wasn't she braver like her mother? Wasn't she her mother's daughter?