The Chronicles of Starlyn: Prologue

A/N:

This is a prequel to The Crimson Claymore.

Prologue:

By Craig A. Price Jr.

                A thunderous storm outside rattled the foundation of a small cabin placed in a clearing deep within the forest. It stood alone without any other habitation in sight, yet it was still part of the elven city of Sudegam. The storm seemed to linger only above her cabin as the rest of the night sky was clear without clouds. Beyond the cabin in every direction stars could be seen high up in the sky that shone with such intensity that they seemed to be only just out of reach.

                Inside the cabin a woman stood with long black hair and tall pointed ears. Her prose was calm and gentle with a thin seemingly fragile body, yet sturdy beyond that of any mere mortal. For she was not a mortal, but an immortal - a high elf of the city of Sudegam. There was hardly an elf that could match her in beauty which was saying a lot when elves were considered the fair folk. Compared to humans they seemed that of goddesses or angels of the creator.

                "This is for you mother." Arria whispered under her breath as she poured more fine dark powder into a glowing black steel pot.

                Her voice was shaken and sad with the thoughts of what she was doing, but in her eyes there was little choice in the matter. The high elves didn't use magic for many reasons and the few who did study it used such small spells or enchantments to better improve health or other minor things. Arria was doing something that was forbidden to elves by the high king Elsargast. She hoped her love, the king's advisor, wouldn't look too shamefully towards her for what she was about to do.

                In her mind it was the only thing she could resort to in able to help her mother. Elves were supposed to be immortal, and yet her mother was dying. It wasn't supposed to happen and in fact it had never happened before. An elf simply did not die of natural causes. The only way it was supposed to happen was when deathly injured in battle as her father had been killed, or by poison. Arria could not fathom any other elf wanting to poison her mother whom was the kindest elf in all the land. Even so, she had watched her carefully when she became sick as did her sister. They kept all others away from her and monitored her food and drink themselves. Even given the healing potions and herbs from the elven healer Aliquia seemed to be of no use.

                Arria loved her sister, but she knew that if her sister knew what she was about to try she would stop her. She could not be stopped. If there was any chance to save mother it was through the use of dark magic. Arria was hesitant to use it to start but after careful consideration and research on the topic through the restricted books in the center library, she finally caved in. There seemed to be a binding life potion that appeared harmless enough if done properly. However, if not done properly it seemed quite deadly. It was a risk that Arria was willing to take. Without her father because of losing him at an early age when Arria was barely a hundred, her mother was the only one she had left whom understood her. There was her sister Starlyn, but at times Starlyn seemed to travel her own path which seemed to be leading away from the elves as a whole. At times it appeared as if Starlyn looked trapped in the elven city and if given a chance she would run- the way she stared at the stars above and how they flickered as she stared up at them in thought.

                Even though her sister always seemed lost in faraway thought her morals seemed to be linked to good standards without even a hint of dark morals in her. Arria was different as in occasion of personal gain or in the aid of others she had found herself with certain thoughts of bad behavior that might help her with her task. There were often times where Arria had gotten her sister Starlyn in trouble when they were younger because of some endeavoring task she wanted to try. The entire while Starlyn would attempt to turn her back saying it was wrong. However, Arria knew that if she tempted her sister with exploring new things it would often keep her intrigued.