Chapter Forty-Nine: The Boy

Something had caught their attention out on the street.

The boy was huddled in the corner of his small apartment. It was still at least half an hour until the darkness came, but something else had drawn them out. They seemed to be getting hungrier lately. More desperate.

Either that, or they were stronger and less afraid.

The boy shivered and brought his legs up tight against his ribs. He put his hands over his ears. He didn't want to hear them out there. He didn't want to hear the screams of the people they tore apart.

The growls and moans of the undead echoed off the tall buildings and no matter how tight he held his hands to his head, he could still hear them. What if they came for him next? What would happen to him if they found him?

Terrified, the boy crawled low across the floor and climbed into the closet near his mother's bed.

He pulled the pillows and blankets up over his head, forming a cocoon against the noise.

Night was coming, and the darkness felt like it lasted for an eternity.

He would hide for as long as it took. He would hide until the screaming stopped.

Super short chapter today, guys! More coming later in the week as things heat up. Thank you so much for reading along with Death's Awakening!