Chapter 1 Forty Thousand*

You Shu* had died; died unexpectedly.

The year the apocalypse arrived, he’d just reached nine years, following his scientist parents to join Pan Long* Base. His parents’ research direction was medicine, although in China they weren’t famous, but for the executives of the base, who were eager to develop an anti-zombie virus vaccine, they were still of some use.

The executives of the base heavily monitored him at the start. After learning that his ability was ‘Super Brain’, and he did not have any aggression, that passion thus faded away in the blink of an eye. This so-called ‘Super Brain’ was a Developed person whose brain area was outstanding, it was a type of mental ability, but other an IQ far higher than that of ordinary people, there was almost no other special characteristic. They could not use mental strength to control zombies or humans, and also could not construct illusions.

If it was in a peaceful era, a supremely intelligent brain would always let someone acquire immense success. But in the apocalyptic world, it was still not as useful as the muscles in your whole body. His parents who were looking to depend on their son to eat a full meal were extremely disappointed, but You Zhu had no a single emotion. Before the end of the world, he was a god-like figure in school. After he developed his super-thinking ability he was only two or three seconds faster than usual, so there wasn’t much of a big change. The matter he worried about most every day was a hungry stomach. In his mind, besides “looking for food,” he truly could not consider anything else.

He did not give up on his education, often worming into the laboratory to observe the scientists experimenting, hoping that once he mastered it, he could also work in the laboratory. If he could become the leader of a project, then that would be better, from then on he wouldn’t need to worry about food.  In this way, while stealing teachings, while working as a labourer in the laboratory, he barely earned a warm meal. Because his brain structure was different from ordinary people, learning anything, he was especially fast. The experimental equipment manual he read it once and understood, read twice to and could disassemble, read thrice and improve it. Slowly, he became the laboratory’s exclusive repairman. Occasionally, he would even help manage logistics, finance, housekeeping, etc., He could be described as “a brick of Pan Long base, where there is need, is where he will move.”

With great difficulty he survived until the age of fifteen. You Shu felt that he had sufficient qualifications to become a scientific research personnel, thus he submitted a change of employment application to the personnel responsible. Just as he was enthusiastically preparing for the entrance exam, the zombie wave came, and Pan Long Base was annihilated. As a brain-is-particularly-developed, limbs-are-particularly-simple, blood-and skin-are-fragile, will-die-in-one-scratch Super-Brain Ability User, it was too late for You Shu to even shout as he died in a Gold Affinity zombie’s jaw. His only thought before the end, was——Just a little bit more, and I could have eaten a full meal!

When You Shu came to, he found himself in a narrow container filled with warm water. The material of the container was extremely unique, not ceramic and not metal, it was like a kind of biological material, soft to touch, and also warm. He wanted to take a look at the surrounding environment, find a way to escape, but irregardless of how he tried,  he couldn’t open his eyes, his mouth also couldn’t speak, only his limbs could occasionally reach out or retract. Inside the enclosed space, there was the sound of two heartbeats. One was his own, one was very close, dongdong, dongdong, dongdong, sound by sound, it rang in his ears.

He didn’t feel hungry, and didn’t feel thirsty. From top to bottom, his whole body was agreeably warm and very comfortable. Hence, listening to this extremely regular heartbeat sound, You Shu entered slumber. This was the most comfortable sleep he has had since the apocalypse arrival. He didn’t know either how long had passed when the warm liquid began to drain away, and the container also desperately shrunk, squeezing him out.