Prologue

Out by the coast in a secluded part of Whitewash, California, a scientist was ready for work. Observing the cloudy skies, he pinned on his name tag that read Dr. Martin Cooper II, not that anyone would read it anyways.

His laboratory was something unreal, with its technology and such. For months he had been researching the ocean's creatures, hoping to carry on an experiment. He knew that everyone he knew wouldn't approve, so he kept it quiet. After all, he was the only scientist for hundreds of miles around.

Somewhere along the line he became somewhat fascinated with mermaids. Not the fantasy creatures in stories told to young children, but beings as clever as humans, if not more, who lived in the ocean. He knew that his theories would be dismissed. "They don't exist.", everyone says after laughing. So his thoughts were again kept quiet.

He started with dolphins; they were the closest thing he could find to mermaids. And not too long before this cloudy day, he hatched a theory. Maybe he could combine the DNA of humans and dolphins. But how? It was a mystery, even to him.

Many more months of research ensued, and now he was ready to test it out.

Optimism seemed to float in the salty air as he adjusted his white lab coat and stepped into the laboratory.

The sun rose, the sun set. The moon rose over the horizon, but there he stayed. Who knows how long he stayed there, but at one point he emerged from the lab.

A test tube was kept in the lab so he could check the progress daily.

Leaves grew on the trees, then fell. The weather got colder and warmer, but he saw no difference in his creation. He was sure his eyesight was growing weary otherwise.

He wasn't prepared to give up, perhaps it just didn't work. Again, who knows. He was due for a vacation with his wife who had been planning to get away for some time. So he packed his bags without a doubt and left the area.

Many people who lived in Whitewash had noticed changes in the ocean. It swelled and crashed on the shore as always, but the weather and currents just weren't right. They guessed correctly, for one night it started to rain. It didn't just rain, it poured.

Few people dared to drive in the haze in the streets. Those who did slipped and swerved in the wet road. The palm trees swayed dangerously in the wind.

After the constant rain, the tide rose more than ever. And before anyone knew it, waves that were at least thirty feet were rising over the shore.

The constant rain and waves had in fact taken a toll on Martin's laboratory. Water seeped through the ceiling, and soon slipped under the door.

When he returned, it was a great shock to hear about the storm. He quickly drove to his lab in worry.

He didn't know how to react or what to do when he saw the large test tube cracked with remants of its glass on the floor. All the water and whatever else inside was gone without a trace. He later thought that it would be no big deal, he couldn't see that anything was in there anyways.

So the weeks passed and the storm became a thing of the past. He forgot about the whole mermaid thing and decided on studying more marine biology with others who wouldn't dismiss his theories.

So no one knew of this experiment, and Martin had no idea what happened to it.

They just knew it was best to move on and forget it.

But surely something happened to that experiment.

Even though he knew it was better to forget about it, Martin knew that he wouldn't forget it. Anyone could be a least a slight bit curious on what happened.

But maybe that was just him.

All he knew is that something happened.

But what?