[Chapter 6]

Sam hadn’t stayed very long after that, although he did manage to finish off the jar of olives. I couldn’t shake the feeling I had earlier, of Sam eating being familiar. I mean it was crazy. Sam eating out of a jar of olives being familiar, not Sam just eating in general. I sighed and shook my head at the thought. Thinking of Sam lead to thinking of Jack, or more accurately the absence of Jack. The last time I had seen him was when he had kissed me and then left upset. Admittedly, I was the reason he became upset, but it was over something stupid like saying his last name. That was a pretty stupid reason to get upset, right? I didn’t have long to worry about it because my phone started ringing, and Jack’s number lit up the screen in a gaudy way of showing he could have contacted me this whole time. I also could have contacted him, but I was scared he’d want nothing to do with me. Always so scared.

 “It’s been a while,” I answered the phone, skipping any type of greeting.

“Eight and a half days, but who’s counting?” Jack’s voice was light and teasing, none of the unease or anger his tone had when he was leaving my house. I almost gave a sigh of relief. “But you’re coming out with me tonight. I’ll be by in a few minutes. Wear something sexy.” I could hear the smirk he was probably wearing.

“You must have the wrong number because this isn’t your booty call.” I said evenly.

Jack sighed and laughed to cover it up, “Just wear something nice that I would like.”

“Short and skimpy it is.”

He laughed again, although I didn’t find my sarcasm very funny.

“Maybe with a slit down the side, going high enough to show off a little upper thigh. How scandalous.” I gasped in a fake show of interest to what I was saying. I made my way to my closet to look for anything nice. I was really all talk and no show because my heart was racing at finding the perfect outfit Jack would like.

“Now you’re just being downright disrespectful. And a little disruptive.” His voice was deeper, though. He used a tone I couldn’t decipher.

“Disruptive to your plan of making me fall gracefully in love with you?” I asked, lacing my voice with sarcasm.

“Disruptive to the peace in my pants by talking about you in something you’d never wear.” His voice was tight. I didn’t have anything to say to that. “I’ll be there in ten. Be ready or I’m taking you half naked. Better yet, don’t be ready.”

“You’re a pig,” I scoffed.

“And you’re still afraid of everything but me.”

“I think you’re forgetting the hundreds of times I’ve said you’re the one thing that scares me the most.” It wasn’t actually true anymore. I mean, yes he had the potential to kill someone with his rage, but he’d saved me enough times from other people and my own mind that I’d started seeing him as someone safe in a world full of dark corners and terrifying thoughts.

“You’re also a terrible liar,” he laughed. Damn him. “I’ll be there soon.” He hung up and left me to think about what had just happened. And ten minutes to make myself presentable.

Ten minutes went by faster than I expected. There was a knock on the front door and I grabbed my phone along with a bit of cash and answered the door to see Jack standing there. I almost laughed out loud, but covered my hand over my mouth, a small gasp escaping.

He frowned, “How the hell did this happen!” I didn’t bother trying to choke back my laughter anymore. I laughed louder than I had in a long time, all while Jack’s face fell and became more and more shocked at what was happening. “We’re dressed exactly alike!”