Chapter One

-----------------------------------------------

AN: Hello! Thank you so much for reading. No Sweeter Sin is a finished work that is up on AFF under the same name. I'm in the process of reworking this story and I'm working very hard to make your reading experience pleasurable and addicting. Let me know what you think in the comments! 

------------------------------------------------

Chapter One

                Ruby sat with her eyes firmly glued to her chemistry book. This was the last year of high school and in less than eight months, she'd be free from the shenanigans of Sacred Saints Academy. In the same token, it would be the last year it would be called Sacred Saints Academy because students were finding more and more ways to deface the name, going so far as to draw attention to the initials of the school. The final straw was when a group of detestable kids drew a crude yet juicy butt on the prized statue of the Virgin Mary with ASS scrawled over her bottom.

        Next year, the Mother Superior announced in conjunction to morning prayer with the principal, that the school would be called Sacred Blood Academy. Were they even thinking? Ruby could picture it now. That stupid swimming pool filled with blood.

        A flash of clorinated water hit her and the imagined scent made her shrink into her desk. Nausea rolled through her as she forcefully shoved those memories from her mind. Get it together, Ruby! 

            One, than two paper balls flew toward her, landing on her desk and rolling to the ground. Another paper ball flew over the expanse of the chemistry lab and hit her on the ear. She couldn't ignore it now, not with the class snickering as the teacher cleared his throat and made his way over to her.    

        "Miss Gallows, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" asked a suspicious Mr. Barlow. Ruby shook her head but it didn't stop Barlow from uncrumpling the ball and reading aloud. 

          "Hey Ruby, why are you such a los-" Mr. Barlow stopped reading the note and the class erupted with laughter. He gritted his teeth, gave Ruby a steely once over as if she were the one who'd disrupted class, and primly walked to the front of the room to continue his lesson. Ruby didn't need to turn around to know that Dillon was the culprit. She recognized his quiet, raspy snicker.

          At lunch, Ruby sat with her friend Johnny. The quiet boy was as close to a friend here at SSA that Ruby had. He'd flunked senior year even though she tutored him all summer. Johnny was just not that interested in French.  Or biology, or physical education. Even though everyone else thought he was a lost cause, Ruby stuck by him all summer and managed to get his test scores up enough to convince both his parents and the school to let her continue tutoring him.

          Her devotion to Johnny was partly due to her loneliness in school. But also, she'd dreamed about having a boyfriend by senior year and Johnny was her best bet. He didn't seem all that interested in girls, but that didn't stop Ruby from trying to catch his eye. So far, he didn't budge. But he would always oblige her when she insisted on ice cream or a movie together. Or, when they studied together, she'd convince him to take breaks with her and she would painstakingly try to converse with him. It was exactly like pulling teeth. You get a little nervous, a little numb and sleepy, and then you ache for days after. She'd gotten it into her head that this was what dating was like in general, but the lie was pathetic and sometimes, she felt even lonelier with Johnny than without him. 

          After the nearly silent lunch she had, Ruby skirted past the popular girls with their shiny blond hair and their perky breasts. She was sure their uniform skirts were much too short but no one ever called them out for it. Being wealthy and pretty was a powerful combination here and Ruby felt as though she lacked in both areas.     

        Her mother would disagree. Being a single mother in an affluent neighborhood made Ruby's mother a Pariah of sorts. But Mrs. Geneva Gallows was an exceedingly hard working woman with a perseverance that she bequeathed to her daughter. And though she couldn't give her daughter the affection she so dearly needed, Geneva would always remember to remind her daughter how beautifully she'd grown, and how independent she'd become.

          The jock boys were the worst at the school. They took the confidence her mother instilled in her and crushed it underfoot. Ruby had been a terrific swimmer during sophomore year but after the prank they pulled on her in the shower. Well, she never got in that pool again. And she avoided those boys like the plague. She made up for her lack of interest in swimming by excelling in academic fields, a few weeks of track and badminton didn't hurt either. 

          Home and the public library were the only solace she had. They were quiet places that allowed her imagination to run rampant. At home, she could imagine that she was better than the popular girls. She could get revenge on the jocks because they absolutely deserved it. But best of all, she could close her eyes and think long and hard about Johnny and the way she wished he would return her affections.   

          She'd seen him without a shirt once when she came over unannounced and his mother just sent her up to his room. She was sure she'd catch him masturbating or something but he was just lying in a patch of sun that beamed through his room. The tiny soft blond hairs on his arms and chest caught the sun and seemed to glow with life. He was so beautiful and so untouchable that she stood and watched him for an embarrassingly long time while chastising herself. Johnny didn't diddle with himself. Johnny was a fucking Saint in a school full of sinners. 

                That image of Johnny remained in her mind and soothed her into a warm golden sleep.

--------------------------------------

AN: Thanks for reading! Feel free to vote and/or comment and follow me to read more!