17.2|| Open Season

Jessie wiped at her eyes furiously as she climbed to the next floor. Why was she even crying? Tina was just spewing nonsense. She should be the bigger person and ignore her. But it grated on her nerves how that extreme level of dislike had gone by completely unnoticed for months. She'd never even given Tina's feelings towards her any thought.

She reached the top floor where the spiral staircase ended spectacularly in the ceiling and stepped in the marble-paved hall. It looked identical to every other floor beneath them. The difference was the view from the narrow window which stretched across the grounds.

With a sudden desperate need for fresh air, she strode to the nearest window and wrestled it open. The hinges gave in with a worrying creak, but a gust of cold wind brushed her face and the annoyance and slight nausea were gone. That until someone grabbed her waist from behind.

"Relax, it's just me," Jimmy whispered in her ear, pulling her against him.

She instantly relaxed into his arms, putting her hands on his forearms to make sure he wouldn't let go. "You're burning up."

"The would be your fault. Entirely your fault."

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm the one who engaged in a pointless snowfight without a jacket."

"Totally not what I meant." His lips brushed the corner of her jaw and sent a shiver through her.

"But I meant it. You're running a fever."

"Are you kidding? I feel great," he mumbled against her skin, trailing kisses along her jaw.

She had no idea what had gotten into him, but she'd missed being alone so much she couldn't even dream of fighting him over this. Instead, she leaned her head back, giving him better access. "You know, I really like your voice like this. Maybe you should keep the cold."

"Really? Should I whisper naughty words to you then?" he asked, finally turning her to face him.

That focus in his eyes, the way he radiated heat made her melt completely. "How do you do this, hotstuff? How do you render me so completely and utterly helpless?"

"I'm a vampire. You should fear me. I can work my magic in ways you wouldn't imagine."

"You're too hot to be a vampire," she whispered, her eyes glued to his lips, to his smile.

He bent a little lower and she couldn't believe how defenseless she felt in front of him. What he was saying was silly, meant to make her laugh, but the way he said it made her heart pound. Because she could tell something else resided behind those words, something she couldn't place but desperately wanted. Just like she wanted to kiss him now.

So she closed her eyes and lifted her chin and waited. And waited. All she could feel was him stiffening. Her eyes shot open. Jimmy hadn't moved, but his eyes had caught a different sort of focus. Because holding a gun inches from his head was one of Snitch Gravel's men. He wasn't alone either. Three more goons flanked every visible escape route.

"Isn't that cute?" the gun wielding goon said. "Sorry to interrupt, but it's time to--"

Jimmy twisted and elbowed him in the side of the head. The gun clattered to the ground as the man fell over, dazed.

The other three immediately pointed their guns at them.

"Don't move!" one of them called out.

Jessie didn't listen. She bent her knees and raised her fists, ready for a scuffle, but didn't dare step towards them because all three guns were pointing at Jimmy's head.

One of the men took out a pair of handcuffs and waved them in Jimmy's direction. "Put these on or we'll shoot the girl."

Jimmy watched him through narrowed eyes, making him take a step back. Jessie was both fascinated and worried by how scared the men seemed of him.