Chapter 1 - Anna

Anna

I blinked several times, forgetting where I was for a moment. Amethyst and Arianna sat either side of me at the table, both in their cheer uniforms. Arianna fiddled with her pompom whilst Amethyst was nattering into her phone, probably gossiping about her latest romantic interest. He was called Kellin...or Keegan...something like that.

"Amy! Get off the phone! We need to plan for the dance!" Arianna moaned. She had one of those nasally, high-pitched voices that made your ears bleed if you listened to it for too long - but only in public. She'd revealed her true colours to me back in 8th grade.

"Ugh, Macy I gotta go. Y- Yeah. Ari's making me plan the dance with her." Arianna glared at Amethyst, who poked her tongue out and hung up the phone. "All right, let's get this over with. I'm meeting Kane in ten minutes."

Ari looked shocked. "What happened to Kellin?!"

Amy waved her hand nonchalantly. "He was too dark and gloomy for me, and that music he played in his band was so grungy and..." She mock-shuddered. "Anyway, Kane is a soccer player. If I can get him to get me invited to one of the jock parties I might finally be able to get Brad alone."

I winced. Arianna had been harbouring a secret crush on Brad Kowalski, the star quarterback, since I'd known her. Amy didn't know; she wasn't as close to Ari as I was.

"Right." Ari squeaked, spreading out her notes. "Do we want streamers or balloons for the dance?"

Amy sighed, twiddling a strand of golden hair between her fingers. "Can't we have both?"

"No. The budget won't allow it."

"To hell with the budget- Kane!" She squealed, jumping up and rushing away from our table. She jumped into the embrace of a sturdy-looking athlete: presumably Kane. Ari and I looked at each other and gagged. Amy was overly affectionate, to say the least. We'd seen more than our fair share of PDA.

"Girls, this is Kane." Amy said, sitting on the broad-shouldered boy's lap. I smiled at him and watched as Ari retreated behind her long raven hair shyly. Just as I was about to ask him how he was, a familiar voice sounded from the end of our table.

"Ladies." I looked up, finding myself face to face with Flynn, top boy at school. He wore his signature smirk - or 'smoulder', as he liked to call it.

"Hi Flynn!" Ari and Amy piped in unison. I simply raised one eyebrow in his direction. We hadn't been on the best terms since our break up a few months back, but he still continued to talk to my friends.

"Don't worry Anna-belle," Flynn directed at me, batting his unmasculinely long eyelashes at me. He used my old nickname against me to torture me. "I'm only here on business. Girls, let me introduce you to Hans..."

He stepped aside to reveal a tall, dark and handsome young man with an honest face. I was instantly drawn to him, inspecting every inch of his chiselled jaw, his stunning green eyes, his pursed lips...

Ari giggled, nudging me.

"Wh- Huh?" I stammered, looking around me.

"You were staring." She hissed.

I felt myself turn crimson. "Oh."

Hans let out a soft chuckle. "Don't worry," He whispered, bending down so that our faces were level. "I won't tell anyone." He put his finger to his lips, winked, then stood up straight again. I noticed that Flynn was staring us both down, jealously sparking in his dark eyes. Good, I thought. He deserves it.

"I'll see you all again soon?" Hans chirped, smiling earnestly. I nodded dazedly, staring as Flynn ushered him away to another table.

"He's really...something." I sighed, resting my chin in my palm.

"Yeah, a real piece of work." Amy spat. "I've seen guys like that before. They act all Mr Nice Guy and then push you flat on your butt when you least expect it."

"What?!" I cried. "He's nothing like that!"

"Amy's right." Ari interjected. "He's too nice."

"He seems fine..."

"Don't be so naive, Anna. He's bad news." Amy leant forward and took my hands, perching on the edge of Kane's lap - who seemed to be falling asleep. "Promise, promise me you won't go after him. Promise."

I frowned. My friends clearly couldn't see it, but I could. Hans was amazing, gorgeous, and just...perfect. I'd show them.

"Fine." I sighed. I hated lying to them, but it was the only choice. I had to prove that I wasn't naive. Now, to get Hans to go on a date with me...

So? What do you think? If you want a specific character POV next then please leave me a comment. Thanks for reading!