First Class Fire

Preview:

"He's gonna' jump," people muttered backing away slowly. Students exchanged looks at each other. They were only thinking of one thought, and it was there own curiosity binding them that way - if the boy would stay true to his actions.

Why is he doing this? Many thoughts crammed themselves into my brain. Why would he want to end his life? Why?

All of our wide and terrified eyes were transfixed on the boy wearing the skinny Adidas shirt. His casual blue pants were baggy and dirt clung to its sides.

Jack, a 5th grader was standing on top of our school. Wind thrashed in his hair, making it violently blast every which way. He was telling everyone, that 'he was done with his life.' He told us that he wanted no one to help him. Some people tried phoning his parents. All Jack did was laugh mischievously, and shout, "they won't answer. They never gave a crap. Never!"

The air wisped with dismay. Clouds in the sky rumbled and sent lighting on the school grounds to devour everything in their paths. Everybody's faces were pale with fright. No one knew what to do. Not even the teachers had an idea.

Kids screamed shrilly, obviously scared of what was before them. They clasped their mouths, and cried softly - but just enough for others to notice. Their friends comforted them warmly, when they should be echoing this act to Jack.

My hands were behind my back, crossed. I was shaking, and tried to remember any memories I had shared with the boy. But there were none. It felt like all of them were stored on a distant island, stranded so miserably. I desperately wished that Jack wasn't suicidal. I wish he was just a normal kid, and this was just a bland afternoon. But it wasn't.

I tried to comb my brain on what would make him reach this terrible level. There was a rumor passing that he got a C in math. That wasn't anything to get upset over, though.

A teacher rushed forth, her chocolate brown hair swaying with every step she could take. A chill swept through room and ran up our backs. The lady cleared her throat, and asked politely, "what's happening?"

It took awhile for all of us to even register what she had just said. She crossed her arms, and looked at us sternly. Her bright blue eyes quickly ran through the crowd and locked them on me. "Jared," she said. "What's happening?!"

My body jolted, I hadn't been paying attention a wink. I kept looking at Jack. But at the moment, my eyes were attracted to the teacher, who stood in front of me - looking fairly superior with her snooty round nose and highlighted hair.

I swallowed hard, and it felt like that chill had doubled. I tried not to make eye contact.

"It looks exactly what it seems like," I announced.

Precisely when I had said that, Jack crouched his legs - and jumped...