Chapter 3 - Connie and Taylor

As the three disappeared, the lights brightened slowly. Connie and Taylor wandered in, in a world of their own. They didn’t see the red patches on the floor or the smashed glass. They pulled their skates on quickly, for the practice ice was supposed to start five minutes ago. Connie looked around and tapped Taylor. 

“Where are all the coaches? Where is everyone?” she asked, her voice shaking. Taylor looked worried, but masked it easily with a smile. “They’re coming, honey, just relax. I want to get our routine perfect.” Connie smiled. Pairs skating made her feel complete. Normally, being on the ice with Taylor made her feel happy, happier than she had ever been, but today, she just felt afraid.

When they stepped on the ice, it didn’t feel right. Connie constantly looked around, searching for something, but not for anything she could put her finger on. Above her (for the rink was built underground) the ground level windows were clouded. But clearly, she saw the shape form, a man with a long knife in his hand. She screamed and Taylor slipped, smacking down on the hard ice. Connie knelt down and stroked his forehead. He got up, pulled up by Connie’s slippery hands.

“Connie, what did you see?” Taylor asked, groaning.

“Never mind. I thought I saw a spider.” Taylor managed a small half laugh, trying to remind him that Connie really was a beautiful, but divvy, girl.

Connie swung herself up again, onto Taylor’s strong shoulders. She spread her arms, feeling the air rushing past her body. She felt alive and free...

The lights flickered off.

The lights flickered on.

Connie was dead. She lay on the ice, her limbs mangled and her forehead red with blood.  “Someone pushed her!” cried Taylor, manically. “She didn’t fall. Someone pushed her!” Taylor dropped to the ground. “It wasn’t me! Someone own up! You pushed her!”

The lights flickered off.

The lights flickered on.

Taylor was dead. He lay on the ice, a blood pool round his heart.

The rink was silent, once again.