Imelda's Note

You were completely and totally sure that the majority of things were going to be absolutely fine. Only the majority, though, because of that date with Héctor that Imelda walked in on. Because of that kiss she walked in on. You were very, extremely dead, and as far as you were concerned you were already in or ought to be walking to Tierra de los Muertos.

Knock, knock, knock, sharp and quick and precise on your front door. Imelda.

Your mama and papa had already left to go to work, and your grandparents and cousins all lived in a separate house, leaving you home alone, and the only one who could answer the door. This was probably a calculated decision and done entirely on purpose. As you had guessed she would be, Imelda was standing before you, arms crossed in front of her, her expression stern and set in stone.

You stepped away from the door to allow Imelda in. She walked in slowly, but with what was almost an aura you couldn't recognize but made you extremely uncomfortable and sat herself on the sofa which sat in the middle of the room. You followed quietly.

"So what were you and Héctor doing?" She spoke in close-to-monotone.

You were quiet. "He asked me out for dinner. He- he never said where or anything."

"I thought that I was going to be told about those things, Y/N." She was stern, face red but shaking. "I love him, and you know that."

"I know."

"Give him this note. Tell him to reply, and make sure he knows to tell you nothing. Do not read it."

You nodded ever so slightly and took the note from her hand. The paper was folded perfectly, so all the edges met neatly, nothing going over.

"Was.. that all, Imelda?"

She nodded. "I have to go to the shops. I just thought I would give you that, since your house is on the way."

Then she got off the sofa, walked to the door, and left, locking the door behind her and leaving you with a note you couldn't read for some reason, and a desperate need to see Héctor for more reason than one.

| THIRTY MINUTES PASS |

You had dressed up about as much as you could, wearing a pair of leather shoes, thick white socks and a simple but cute F/C dress. Your hair was brushed until it was silky and smooth, a bit fluffy, and then put into a braid. You walked over to Héctor's house as soon as you felt ready. You knocked a few times, and Héctor's mama opened the door for you to come in.

You walked into the tidy, shining clean house and entered Héctor's room with a quick yell to tell him you had come. His face lit up upon your entrance and you flashed him a small smile back. He ran up as soon as he saw you and hugged you tightly, picking you off the ground and spinning you around a couple times before setting you back down again, leaving you dizzy and leaning on him for balance.

He told you to sit on the bed, to forgive the messy state his room was in. You passed him the note from your pocket.

"Imelda said to give this to you, guapo."

Héctor took the note, face flushing.

"Gracias, hermosa. I'll uh, read this, quickly."

His hands fumbled to unfold it, and he spent only a minute reading it before finding a pencil, scribbling something on it and handing it back to you, folded perfectly.

"Give that to her when you next see her, sí, señorita?"

You nodded and moved yourself ever so slightly closer to him.

"Sooo.. how are you?" You started playing with your hair absentmindedly.

Héctor pulled you into his lap, then gently moved your hand down into his and ran his free hand through your hair. "I'm much better with such a hermosa chica with me~" He smirked and kissed your cheek.

You laughed and leaned into his chest.

"You make me look like a rose."

"A beautiful symbol of love?~"

"Or a tomato."

"You are quite delicioso, amor."

"Argh! A- a strawberry?"

"Sweet and again, delicious."

You groaned. He laughed. No matter what he said, you knew he would have a compliment to match, and your face was already a deep crimson, so why try to beat him? He could outsmart you in anything involving flirting, or really anything to do with relationships at all.

You spent the rest of the day with Héctor, sitting in his room, goofing off and listening to him play guitar.

You had arrived back home by sundown, your parents immediately showering you in questions about where and why and how you had been despite the note you left for them in their bedroom explaining and answering literally everything they were now asking.

| THE NEXT DAY |

Imelda would be in the markets, so you knew you would have to be, too. You knew when she left her house, and which stores she went to first, so it was no problem passing her the note as you passed her by that morning.

Now was just to wait and see what she told you.