You're A Better Pharaoh Than That Crazy Baboon

***Hazel***

       "They were saying unkind things," Frank told me. "They were saying untrue things."

         We were in my chambers, preparing for bed. I had noticed that Frank's smile had melted off earlier and I asked him why. The answer I did not expect to receive was that he was angry on my behalf. "They were blaming you for the deaths," Frank said, his chest heaving. "They were acting as if you were an all-powerful god!"

      "Frank," I said, putting one hand on his tense shoulder. "I am the pharaoh. They believe that I am a god on earth, so it's natural that they blame me if the Nile does not flood."

     "But you're a good person," Frank sputtered, looking like he wanted to climb the tallest pyramid that he could and shout it so loud that even the gods would hear. "You're the sweetest, most caring-"

     His words were blockaded by my kiss. "Thanks, Frank," I said, "but every pharaoh is doubted by someone. I just sometimes fear that even Octavian would make a better pharaoh than I."

     "Octavian?" Frank said, his eyes as wide as the Nile during the rainy season. "You're a better pharaoh than that crazy baboon could ever be!"

     "Frank, baboons are sacred animals," I chided.

    "They still look strange," he insisted.

      I cocked one eyebrow and he laughed. I laid my head against his shoulder and breathed in. The comforting, familiar scent of his sweat and kyphi mingling together caused a smile to plant itself on my face. We chatted about nothing of particular importance and fell asleep side-by-side.

***

     I woke up and smiled at my partner for eternity. He was still asleep, which made him look younger. His black eyelashes fluttered and he smiled as he caught me staring. He pecked me on the cheek. "You look as if you've seen Horus himself," he teased.

      I fanned my flushed face in feverish embarrassment. His compliments still sent tingles of excitement down my back. I had worried that marriage might spoil our friendship like milk left out to curdle in the hot sun, but instead, our friendship seemed to grow stronger like fine wine.

***

     I woke up and groaned before rolling over and snuggling closer to Frank. I was so exhausted; I wanted to spend all day beside him, doing nothing more than enjoying the company of each other, but I was the pharaoh. My brother needed me to do this. Egypt needed me to do this.

      I got up and rubbed my eyes. I splashed cold water onto my face, but not even that could stop the pounding ache in my head. I had never realized just how stressful it was; being a pharaoh seemed a lot easier than it actually was. I wondered why anyone would ever want the crown. 

      I looked down at my hands and spoke to them, trying to instill some strength into my wearied mind. "These are the hands that can can Chaos or keep Ma'at," I murmured. "These are your hands and you must do what the gods command."

     I stood up straighter and walked over to wake up Frank. He was yawning by the time Piper arrived. She took one look at my drawn-out, pallid face and shot me a sympathetic look. "I'll hurry today," she said. "Leo wants to talk with you in the audience chamber; he has an idea to help bring water to the fields."

      I sighed as Piper drew kohl over my eyes. Not even Leo, my most trusted architect, could control the gods. He could design grand temples and fountains, he could solve mathematical problems that I could never wrap my head around, but even Leo had his limits. "Annabeth has been talking with Leo," Piper told me as she arranged my hair. 

       "You don't think she fancies him?" I asked.

       Piper frowned. "I had the impression he liked your court musician," she said. "The one that sings while she dances."

     "Calypso?" I said in surprise.

     "She's been yelling at him a lot," Piper told me. "I think the feeling is mutual."

     I giggled. Just like that, Piper had made me forget my worries-at least for a few brief minutes. "You ready?" Frank asked.

       I crossed my arms. "We Egyptians take pride in our appearances," I said. "The gods command us to be pure."

      "I'm Egyptian too!" he protested.

       "And I'm part Nubian," I reminded him. "We're both foreigners in a way."

       We walked down to the throne room, which was busier than a beehive. Jason, Sherman, and Tyson were chatting together in one corner of the room. Annabeth was sitting below the dais, her papyrus ready to be inked on. Grover and Juniper were chatting with Percy, who kept sneaking glances at my scribe. Reyna was seated beside Annabeth, her eyes sweeping the room and cataloging everything of interest. Leo was standing beside Calypso, who looked like she was going to introduce her harp to his head. 

     The chatter lessened when Frank and I sat down. I was still not used to all the attention focused on me. It made me feel as if I was choking on sand. "Leo," I said. "You wanted to share something important that you have discovered?"

     Leo's face brightened and he edged away from Calypso. "The Nile isn't flooding," he began.

   "I never would have guessed that," Sherman said scathingly.

   "As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted by a mere general," Leo began. "I have an idea to bring water to the fields."

    I leaned towards him. "What's your idea?" I asked, noticing out of the corner of my eye that Frank looked miffed.

    Leo's smile widened. "I call them shadoofs," he said with relish," because Piper told me not to call them Leodoofs."

     I rolled my eyes as he continued to speak. "Basically, we build water wheels and a long pole," he said. "We'll place a pail of water on one side of the pole and a heavy weight on the other. We'll need some strong animals to help with the project--maybe some bulls or oxen, but it will mean that we don't have to fret every time the Nile refuses to flood. Egypt will be saved and all the ladies will love Leo!"