Chapter Five

It was a long, dragging night. I wanted it to end as soon as it started. It was great really. The food was magnificent and the Castle was a sight. Between Brittney glaring and Luca staring I couldn't hardly enjoy my dinner. Mike held my hand under the table most of the time anyway. It was a coping mechanism since we were kids.

"So, Rhiannon," Marcos started. "What do you plan on doing in life? Any dreams or hopes?"

"Um, to be honest, Alpha-"

"Just Marcos dear," he held up his hand and waved it at me. Lilly smiled at Marcos and winked at me. I politely smiled back. "No need for formalities with us."

"Yes, Marcos. I actually want to be a doctor, like my father." I glanced at my father through my lashes. His eyes would seem stone cold to anyone else, but I knew what was behind them. It was a fire. He loved me, yes, but he's been tough on the ones he loves. Tough on me and Mike. "Although I know he'd rather me be a warrior."

My father cleared his throat. I took a gulp of my wine and pushed it down. I pushed down the want to just reach over the table and yell. Yell at him for choosing what to do to harness my strength than to let me be happy. Lily and my mother exchanged glances. Marcos gave me a look. I knew what he was trying to say. He wanted me to let it go. It was like he understood me. Having him be kind to me caught me off guard, but not all pack members got that luxury.

I lowered my head, feeling as if I caused an unnecessary scene. Luca tapped his glass at the base. It was out of rhythm with no particular meaning to it. He looked at me, his eyes blaring blue just as before. Asher settled in the back of my head. My brain knew it was wrong to even look at this man, but my body didn't. Brittney shifted out of the corner of my eye. Her eyes locked onto mine.

"You really seem to be a good fighter," she twisted her knife in her hand. "You ever fought anyone live? In an arena?"

"Yes," my voice was low and rough. I didn't like anyone questioning my abilities or strength. I also didn't like people with bad attitudes. She just happened to have both. "Actually, if you are so inclined to know, I've fought many people-"

"Good-"

"At once," I retorted. I happen to not like being cut off on the middle of my sentences either. "Is there a particular reason why you ask me this?"

She snapped her gaze to Luca. He slowly retracted from me and got caught in her stare. Britney raised her eyebrows as if to say something to Luca. He shook his head and refused to look at her. Lily squirmed in her chair while my mother started to stand. My father put his hand to her stomach.

"Let them work it out, Filomena."

Brittney looked at her father. Marcos and my father exchanged glances. This was not happening. I did not want to fight some brat in the middle of dinner. I had enough on my plate because of Luca who can't control his hands. Quinn scooted her chair to the side where she wouldn't be in the middle of anything. Mike grabbed my hand. I shrugged it away. Damian watched as Brittney stood from her chair.

It wasn't her fault. She trained to become the Gamma all her life. She wanted to be the one in charge of the warriors. She felt threatened by my presence. Brittney couldn't control herself. It was like this need to prove her worth ran through her body. She slowly stood and walked away from the table. I thought she was ready to take it outside.

As soon as I stood from my chair she whipped around and threw the knife she'd been keeping in her hand at me. I quickly caught it, but not before it was inches away from skin. I took it and ran. My feet jumped over the table, even in my designer shoes. She barely had time.

Brittneys eyes widened at my speed. Everyone watched as I seamlessly ran past her and around her back. I grabbed her shoulder as my other hand Positioned the knife at her throat. She squirmed and wriggled but she couldn't escape my grasp. Marcos laughed and clapped. I squinted my eyes at him. He turned to my father.