Chapter Two

Less than half the party remained. People were either gone or drunk asleep somewhere in the compound. I sit on the couch in the living room, disappointed at myself. Someone walks in front  of me and takes a seat. I look up hopefully, only to see that it’s a guy. 

“Hey.” 

“Sup.” I nod back at him. 

“Friend of Matthew’s I reckon?” 

I think hard for a second. Muscular, older looking. 

“You’re Dave aren’t you?” 

“My my. You’re fast.” 

I smile back at him. 

“Want a hit?” he asks. 

“Of what?” 

“Weed dude. This shit is good.” 

I stare cautiously, unsure of what to say. I’ve never tried weed before, and I have no idea what it’ll do to me. But I didn’t want to seem rude. So I nonchalantly shrug. 

“Sure dude.” 

“Come on, let’s head into the smoke room.” He says and stands up. I follow him upstairs. Third floor. Matthew did say it’s by invitation and I believe ‘come on’ is an open enough invitation for me not to accept. He turns to the left and opens a door that leads out onto a beautiful, spacious balcony with a nice set of tables, chairs, couches and everything that makes it look like an outdoor loft. 

“Jesus..” I mutter. 

“This is where the magic happens.” Dave says to me, I look back at him. He smiles at what looks like a virgin experience about to unfold. 

“Who else is coming anyway?” 

“I’m not sure. Whoever is still sober, awake and wants to smoke weed.” He chuckles. I laugh softly at that. There’s no one else up here yet so I walk around the rooftop. The moon shines brightly in the midnight. 

“I didn’t quite catch your name down there.” He mentions. 

“Michael. But you can call me Mike.” I respond. He nods in acknowledgement. He sits down on one of the many couches and pulls out a little bag. He proceeds to roll a few joints. I sit down next to him to watch the magic. Suddenly, a few people come upstairs, Matthew included. 

“Hey dude. I thought you went home already.” He calls out. 

“How could I? Didn’t even get to taste the party yet.” 

He laughs. 

“Anyway, this here’s Tuck, Rebecca, Daniel and I see you’ve already met my brother.” 

“That I have.” 

“Nice to meet you.” Rebecca says staring me into the eyes. 

“Yeah man. But don’t fuck this my girl okay?” Tuck says half-threateningly. 

Rebecca punches him softly on the side of his arm. 

“Ignore him. Rebecca is his girlfriend and he’s like super protective of her. But we’re all here to have fun so don’t start shit up aight?” Daniel finally joins in. 

I nod my head and we all sit down. 

“Anyone else joining us?” Tuck asks Dave,  who proceeds to put three joints on the table. 

“Maybe. I’ve already told everyone remaining to join us if they wanted to.” 

Tuck stares for a while, then grabs one of the joints and puts it in his mouth. Rebecca pulls a lighter out and lights his cigarettes for him.