chapter 23

It was Monday morning roll call and Meg and I were sitting at our usual desk at the back of the freezing cold textiles room. We really weren’t bothered by the fact that it was about 10 degrees or that it was a dull and overcast day. Not even the fact that we had maths first period could wipe the smiles off our faces. We had just experienced something that we had never ever expected to happen to us in our lifetimes- we had just met the One Direction boys, Harry, Zayn, Louis, Liam and Niall, and they had invited us backstage to their concert tonight. We were the luckiest girls in the world, we knew that there were thousands upon thousands of girls around the world who would literally kill to have this opportunity, and was just by a mixture of pure coincidence, luck and a tiny little (well huge actually) amount of stalking.

We were obviously totally over the moon. We had been totally gutted when we had missed out on concert tickets by the skin of our teeth, so to be given this amazing opportunity to attend the concert, backstage, and for free was just a dream come true. All of a sudden, Meg’s white iPhone with the One Direction case vibrated on the desk which we sat at. I noticed that it was a notification from Twitter and expected it just to be another kind hearted, fangirling tweet about how the both of us were so lucky to meet the boys and to be seeing them again tonight.

“Probably just another girl who wishes she was in our shoes right now” said Megan with a smile in her voice.

Her face dropped instantly, the joyous smile switching for a look of upset confusion.

“What’s wrong babe?” I asked, worried about her sudden change of expression.

“Some…some girl is saying awful things to us.”

“What?” I said, catching her phone as she threw it at me so that I could see the tweets for myself.

“@megan_1D_aiden you and your stuck up little friend don’t deserve to meet the boys or go to their concert. Give the tickets to someone who’s not a whiny little bitch”

“WHAT THE HELL?!?!?” I yelled.

“I...I just don’t understand it Kate, why is she saying this stuff to us?”

“I don’t know babe, I’m just as confused as you are.”

More and more hate started to flood into both our ‘interactions’.

@katie1Dxoxo and @megan_1D_Aiden are stupid little girls who do not deserve to go to a One Direction concert.

There’s no way that the boys would actually like @megan_1D_Aiden & @Katie1Dxoxo, they probably just feel sorry for the idiots.

We were both totally baffled. Neither of us could understand why these people were saying horrible things to us, we had done nothing wrong, If anything, they should be happy for us. All we had done was put in hard effort and by an off chance, meet the boys. We hadn’t asked for concert tickets, they had offered and we would be eternally grateful. There were also indirect tweets all over both of our timelines, more of the bitchy remarks. There was the occasional sweet girl who was sticking up for us but the majority was haters. So much for the ‘One Direction family”, I thought, as I felt tears burning in the backs of my eyes.

“Let’s go to class Kate,” Megan said as she linked her arm through mine, a perfectly round tear balancing on her cheek.

I nodded, agreeing. I knew at this point all I needed was my best friend; a little burst of sunshine, and of course, One Direction.