Part Eight

"You know I hate you, right? I mean, seriously, I hate you more than you will ever be able to fathom."

Kenpachi pulled the blanket up to his chin. "I'm paying for this room tonight. Don't see why I shouldn't get to use the bed."

Ichigo was in his underwear now, grateful that the worst seemed to be over. After a suitable amount of time, Kenpachi had gone to the bedroom window and opened it, letting the night air in. Ichigo had closed his eyes for that part, as he had insisted on doing so naked, just to give whoever was watching the place a good view. To firmly assure whoever was out there that he had been enjoying himself.

Now they lay in bed together. "It looks better. Now will be the chance for him to look in. See what's what, so just go to sleep Ichigo. You better not snore."

"You better hope I don't kill you in your sleep!" Ichigo ignored the laughter and turned over, so his back was to Kenpachi. Not good enough, he shuffled over as far away from him as possible. He didn't know if he snored.

He really hoped he did.

Byakuya had been tempted to simply sit on the wooden chair in the cell they had provided for him, but in the end he had chosen to lie on the cot.

Stubborn pride would have kept him in the chair. Imagining what Ichigo would do in such a situation had led him to the cot.

He had already come to the conclusion that his pride was not all that he would wish it to be. Rukia had explained to him that it was up to his sense of honour to decide how to deal with his pride now.

If something feels wrong, it usually is, brother. Let your heart have its say.

He was worried about Ichigo.

Rationally, he knew he had no reason to be. He was a fearsome opponent. He could look after himself against an attack. But he despised Kenpachi Zuraki. Oh, he knew Ichigo would come to no physical harm, but the man was a barbarian with little to no honour.

Honour.

Byakuya sighed.

That he was assisting Ichigo was obvious, as well as the fact that he knew exactly who Jiro Kuchki really was. The cover story was a good one, he had to admit, although he knew his previous self would have been furious at the accusation of using a prostitute, even though it was nonsense.

Looking at the ceiling, he thought of Ichigo. A smile creased his lips. When had left his home the previous day, he had never expected it to end with Ichigo knowing how Byakuya felt about him. And to be accepted! To have those feelings returned!

Byakuya felt his heart swell just at the sheer joy that knowledge brought to him.

He still did not understand how Ichigo could not only forgive, but over come all that Byakuya had done, and give him his heart in such open honesty. Byakuya hoped that he would come to know the depths of Ichigo over time. That together their lives could both start over.

Dawn was breaking outside and with it the realisation that today would no doubt bring more questions to be answered. Byakuya sighed at the thought of it. There was no way to prove that he had not killed Ichigo. At least, not while he was lying in this cell.

It had not taken much thought to realise that staying here would lead whoever was behind this to think that his plan was working. Byakuya imprisoned and Ichigo dead, Orihime would know doubt be revived with an antidote. But still no sign of Ichigo Kurosaki in the Soul Society. Ichigo's identity as Ruko had been confirmed and dismissed of any importance. Hopefully, he would be able to contact Rukia and Renji and together they would be able to move forward.
Waiting was going to be difficult and the errant thought that Ichigo would simply break out caused him to turn and look at the cell door.