Chapter Twenty-Four

The brilliant light of the March sun streamed into Hèmène's office like a flamboyant guest, refusing to await an invitation. Iridescent tendrils of silvery mist crept over the valley, its last traces slithering up the mountainsides as morning made way for afternoon.

The blizzards that had raged over the region for the past months had finally ceased their onslaught. In their wake, the valley of Arcadia looked like an unfinished painting. Much of the canvas was an untouched white hue, as if it was anxiously anticipating the return of the artist's hand.

The wind howled through the cold air, harshly pulling at the panes of the office's windows as Maebh sat scribbling doodles in her notebook –occasionally exclaiming an "ooh" or "ahh" as she feigned interest in whatever Hèmène was saying.

It had been more than a year since she had learned of her grandmother's death and the inheritance that altered her life. Strange how so much could change in 365 days. A single orbital period of the earth moving in its orbit around the sun and Maebh was in line to become a glorified surrogate.

"Arcadia is a semi-constitutional monarchy. What this means is that we as monarchs are bound by codes of conduct. Although predominantly ceremonial, our function does allow us to have authority over the state, which in turn is closely monitored by the Curia Regis. Our ord- Maebh are you listening?"

Maebh, who had been tapping the desk repetitively with the end of her pen, sat up straight, "Yes, yes. Semi-constitutional monarchy, Curia Regis, etcetera."

The queen eyed her suspiciously before continuing. "Our order of succession is solely hereditary, as you know. Primogeniture. The eldest son inherits the crown. Childbearers, for that matter, become queen ensuing the birth of their firstborn." Hèmène explained. "But we're getting ahead of ourselves. When time is ripe, you will first need to consummate the bond with Fillin in his other form."

Maebh blinked. "I don't think I understand."

Pleased to see the young woman was paying attention, the queen leant forward. "Your ability to grow and birth a healthy crown prince is what consequently makes you queen."

"Misogyny at its finest, but I'll pretend to ignore that." She pulled a face. "I actually meant that last bit though."

"I'm sure you've seen the tapestries of Lycanthropes fornicating with human women." Hèmène briefed dismissively.

Maebh abruptly rose from her seat. "You're not serious?"

"Now Maebh-"

Her facial expression was one of absolute distress as she paced back and forth like a caged tiger. "That is fucking atrocious!"

"Darling, contain yourself. It's not as bad as it seems. As members of the royal family, let us reflect the morals laid down by our ancestors."

Maebh stopped dead in her tracks before turning back to the queen. "You let Maccon do.. that.. to you?"

"In order to consummate the bond, yes-" she primly folded her hands on her lap. "as is customary."

A frustrated groan escaped her throat. "I'm getting sick and tired of these degrading customs!"

"Maebh, try and excersise a modicum of respect."

"I respectfully decline." She scowled, storming out of the office with an exasperated Hèmène calling after her.

Wrapped up in winter gear, a rosy-cheeked Maebh slammed the heavy double doors of the entrance hall sometime later. She made her way down the mount the castle's majestic structure was carved into, and towards the furthest strip of forest that connected the valley to the Kluane nature reserve and the rest of the St. Elias mountain range.