Untouchable

Huh. I really need a book cover...

~%~%~%~%~*~%~%~%~%~

I sunk down in my chair, studiously ignoring everyone around me. History was such a bore. And Fallon wasn't here today. Probably off with his annoying girlfriend doing it in the bushes somewhere. The jerk, leaving me to suffer alone.

The teacher wasn't here yet though, a plus that I tried to enjoy despite the constant yammering I heard around me. I could feel a headache coming on.

I rested my head against the back of the chair and closed my eyes, unwillingly eavesdropping on the oh-so-interesting topics Slut Stella discussed. As luck would have it, not one person I actually liked was in my History class except Fallon, who hadn't bothered to show.

When the noise got to be too much for my poor head and the teacher still hadn't shown, I contemplated walking out and ditching. Just as I was about to stand, there was a tap from behind on my shoulder. I turned sideways in my chair and a pretty redhead smiled shyly at me. I wondered idly if she was one of Slut Stella's friends.

"Is Fallon not here today?" Obviously.

I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and be civil to her since there was nobody else to talk to. "He's apparently decided not to grace us with his presence today."

She giggled a little and my lips curved into a smile as I recognized the laugh. Her name was Rose and fortunately, she was known to be one of the nicest people around school. I stifled a laugh as I further remembered her.

All of freshman year, she'd had a huge crush on Fallon and had stopped, stared and blushed every time she'd caught sight of him. I'd laughed so much when Fallon had asked her for a pen one day in class and she'd been so flustered that she'd ended up whipping it at him, narrowly missing his eye. He had never asked her for anything ever again and she had avoided him ever since.

"I'm Rose," she said with a smile.

I nodded. "I remember you. You almost took Fallon's eye out last year."

As expected, her eyes widened and her cheeks turned scarlet.

I laughed at her and she tugged on a piece of her hair self-consciously.

"I'm Lyza," I said, still laughing. "No worries though, Rose. I bet Fallon doesn't remember."

She opened her mouth to say something, still blushing but, stopped when she heard the door creak open.

The class slowly went silent as a substitute walked in the room instead of our usual. He looked very young and had incredibly dark hair, the inky black almost startling next to misty, completely unremarkable grey eyes. He looked exceptionally attractive and had the  muscular, lean body and expensive clothes to go with it, as one would expect.

I whistled softly and winked at Rose. "I guess he can make up for Fallon's absence today."

She blushed again but laughed a little.

I grinned and remained sitting sideways, satisfied that my attempt at tolerating society had paid off with a cute little friend.

Her eyes drifted up to the man and I turned my head, observing him as well. I regarded the man with interest when he shut the door by kicking it lightly behind him instead of pushing it closed. His eyes passed over the students and widened only the tiniest fraction when he saw me. We locked eyes for a moment before he composed himself and allowed his gaze to pass on. I fought a smirk and watched him in interest.

He didn’t look at me as he addressed the class. "I'm Quinn Mariano. I'm subbing in for your teacher for the rest of the week."

Slut Stella raised her hand and I made a blech face, making Rose giggle.