Chapter One

A/N: Just another heads up that most of my story is still a work in progress. I wrote many of the early chapters when I was young and first starting out as a writer, so they might not have the best writing or plot structure. The later chapters are written a lot better, so I hope you have the faith and patience to read until then! :)

~ ~ ~

Chapter One

A V E R Y

People say that time flies by, that years go by, and moments simply fade away. They say that every year is always something to look forward to at first, but eventually, turns into one of those ordinary days where you carry on with your daily life and nothing extraordinary happens.

It's only at the end of the year, or even several years later, where you realize that everything drastically changed in that certain period of time. I never knew that life was always something that flashed by in an instant and you had to make the most of it while you had it; until I met Walden Bradley.

I truly can't recall how I felt the day that I had my first encounter with Walden Bradley. I guess I was somehow intimidated by him. Walden Bradley; selfish, conceited, and the most popular boy in school. He only cared about himself and I couldn't understand why everyone liked him.

I don't know if my dislike towards him was because of jealousy, but it was probably in annoyance. I know I misjudged him when I first met him, but sometimes the eyes don't see past the person on the outside.

You eventually have to teach yourself to see beyond the outside and focus on the inside. You'll get used to the familiarity of the person as the vision of the person becomes clearer to you, which was what happened to me after everything changed. I finally saw things clearer in my world, and finally knew what was right; all because of him.

I never realized it at the time, but he was the one that changed my life for the better.

The day that I had to leave my home was either the most dreadful or the greatest thing that had ever happened to me. My family moved from New York City to Minnesota, and the reason why we moved was that my father had to transfer to another one of the businesses' franchises where he worked nearby in Rochester.

We had to pack all of our belongings and I had to say goodbye to the place that I once called my home. I recalled every single memory that happened in the same tiny, cramped townhouse we've had all that time.

I remembered the time when my father and I rushed to finish my science project in the seventh grade in the kitchen, with papers flying and glue squirting everywhere. There was also the time that my mother and I attempted to bake countless delicacies that made your eyes water whenever you sniffed the familiar savoury scent of freshly baked cookies and cakes.

Except, all memories had to be left behind; whether they were pleasant or not, and that was the thing that I was terrified of the most.

__________

"What are you doing?" My twelve-year-old brother, Noah, curiously inquired as he poked me by my shoulder.

I sighed, folding my notebook shut and turning to glance at him. "I was writing in my notebook until you interrupted me."

In life, everyone goes through moments where they feel as if they know something is about to happen, but they choose to deny it and push it aside as a way to ignore events that you know you don't want to go through.