Chapter 18

"I'll call you family in now, I'll check up on you again soon," She says before exiting the room. Scenarios start running through my head. Before I get lost in thought there is a knock on the door.

"C-Come in," I say clutching the blanket slightly.

Here we go again...

The door opens and I relax when I see Xander, Izzy, Amanda, and Carol. I almost cry tears of joy seeing them instead of my father and brother.

"Emilia! I'm so glad you awake!" Izzy says running to me and giving me a huge. I wince slightly but smile at her.

"Izzy, be careful," Amanda says softly warning her.

"Sorry Emilia," She says looking down.

"It's okay Izzy," I say putting my hand on her head. Everyone eyes are on me but no one says anything. They hold confusion and hurt but mostly sadness. No pity? I just look down from their intense stares, not knowing what to say.

Carol walks over to me and takes a set in the chair gently grabbing my hand.

"How are you doing Emilia?" She says tears pooling in her eyes.

"I'm doing f-fine," I say trying not to cry. Why do they care about me?

"Are you hungry?" Amanda asks.

"Y-Yeah a little," I say.

"I'll go get something for you," Amanda says walking out of the room with Izzy.

"W-What time is it?" I ask them avoiding eye contact. I can't look them in the eyes. I just can't.

'you're pathetic' 

"10:30 pm, we were just getting some drinks in the cafeteria when Xander told us you were awake," Carol says with a joyous smile on her face. A small smile tugs at my lips as I look at my fiddling hands. I hear the door open and see a tray of food in Amanda's hand. She walks over to me setting the food tray on my lap.

There is a chicken sandwich, green beans, and jello. Doesn't look too bad. I start eating in silence. No one saying a word. What could they say though? 

'Why?' is probably the questions running through there heads. It's the giant elephant in the room.

"Emilia, I just want you to know we are here for you, for anything, and your gonna be staying with me when you are allowed to leave the hospital. You father hasn't answered yet," Carol says to me. I feel sudden joy at that news. She cares enough to take me in after all of this?

"Thank you, Carol," I say. I might be grateful for their help, but I feel guilty having them waste their time on someone like me.

"I'm sorry to have us leave so soon, but it is late and we have to head home to sleep. I hate to leave after you just woke up but we promise to be back right in the morning. Okay?" Amanda says.

"Y-Yeah that's okay, I understand," I say to them. They all give me hugs before leaving.

Xander goes to the door shutting it. Isn't he leaving?

"Xander you can go too, I'll be fine one night," I say trying to convince him, he looks really tired.

"No, not when I just got you back, I'm not leaving again, I want to know everything Emilia. Please trust me?" He pleads with sadness in his voice. I don't say anything, I don't even look at him. I can't look at him.

I hear him sit in the chair next to me, he grabs my hand and I don't move away. It feels warm and comforting.

"Look at me Emilia," He says. I shake my head. I can't.