Third Chapter - in which her host appears, with company

Standing before so great a building filled Vogel with a special sense of reverence. It wasn't that she had never stood before an old manor-house before; it put her in mind of a town hall, much like one which might be found off the high street of her own neighbourhood. Rather, she was struck immediately and forcefully with the daydream that she was the great heroine of a Regency novel.

"McClellan, I sincerely hope that you deleted that photo you took at the top of that hill." The face of Jacobs appeared, ghost-like, at the edge of her vision, causing her to start.

She recovered herself, admirably, staring fixedly down the gravel drive ahead of them. "Why would I want to do that?"

"Evidence with the eyes, McClellan. You don't need devices like that. Put it away."

Abashed, she slid the phone into her pocket.

"And get that chewing gum out of your mouth."

Vogel firmly believed that the pile of papers which he handed her – though they were mostly folders, they served mainly as covers for the loose sheets floating about within – were repayment for the sullen neglect to follow his orders. It was hardly the most dignified entrance, with the Detective striding ahead, briefcase in hand, and McClellan, pile up to her chin, hurrying to keep up behind.

They had only come in sight of the imposing front door when it opened. And their host, Sebastian Carroll, appeared before Vogel for the first time.

He was nothing but a shadow at first; then he grew, from shadow and grey in the shelter of the doorway into a real, living, breathing... person. And then Vogel realised that the grey was not caused by the shadow – silver streaks lined his hair, his face, and at once he seemed gaunt, slender, ancient. And although Vogel, of course, had never seen a vampire, and had minimal patience with those who proclaimed their existence, there was a less rational part of her which swept aside those beliefs for a moment – for he was real.

Behind him, shadows lurked.

A few steps ahead of her, the Detective stopped and glanced back. "The apprentice needs to come with the detective, you know."

 She didn't believe for one moment that there was anything in there that could hurt her. And he must have noticed them as well, right? He was the detective – he noticed these things as well, didn't he?

Unless it was all in her mind.

But as they moved – him striding, her tagging along behind – ever closer to the entrance to the manor, she realised that she was not, in fact mistaken' this wasn't just the product of her overactive imagination. Behind the vampiric figure, gradually turning human, there appeared two humans, one boy, one girl; a man, lurking in the background, dressed in a sharp grey suit, whom she presumed to be the butler; and a girl, not so much older than herself, dark-skinned, sullen but youthful, who stared out at them as they drew nearer.

And then the man smiled; the spell was broken. He waved at them – at him, an unnatural grin on his face. "Samuel! My good friend!"

Is this real? Vogel watched the aforementioned 'Samuel', official detective, grin and wave back. "Seb!"

He's called Seb? Yet another surreal event passed her by, as the two rushed towards each other. The host stepped out into the sunlight, and upon seeing this event take place, realised that he could not be of the supernatural disposition and settled this conclusion in her mind. Way to go, Ace Detective.

The two strode towards each other, the detective dropping his briefcase on the floor behind him, throwing the car keys at his feet. Clutching folders she scurried to pick them up, feeling that this was not exactly on-the-job teaching, but eager to make herself useful in some way.