The World From The View Of Heaven

Part One

*Maddie’s POV*

“Ms. Reintag”

I turn over in my bed, my eyes squeezing shut.

“Ms. Reintag”

My eyes slowly open, turning into slits when I realize it’s my annoying doorbell. I could have sworn I muted that thing.

I throw back the covers and pad over to the door, fixing my duck pajama pants and white shirt as I go. I open the door to find a scrawny maybe 8 year old boy.

“What do you want?” I snap at the blonde.

“I-I was sent to tell you that He has requested to see you at noon,” he mumbles.

“Who?” I rub my eyes, adjusting to the brightness outside.

“H-Him,” the boy says again. “Our Friend.”

“Oh,” I say, now knowing who he’s referring to. Why in the world would He want me? The boy stands as if begging to be shooed out of my porch. I think about grabbing a rolled up magazine but instead I do the opposite.

“Since you woke me up, do you want to come in? Maybe some coffee?” I take in his small appearance “Maybe some apple juice instead?” I smile and he returns one.

“Sure,” he says, moving towards my door but not going in until having a glance behind his back to make sure no one is watching.

“So what do you want to eat?” I ask, opening the cabinets. The boy stares at me blankly. “What do you usually eat?” I ask again, looking into the fridge.

“J-just some Cheerios,” he says. “Gran usually doesn’t like to give me sugary things.”

“How old are you again?” I ask, reaching into the freezer for some frozen pancakes and put them in the microwave.

“Eleven,” he says.

“How long you been here?”

“Oh almost a year now.” I take the plate out and drizzle some syrup on them before handing them to the kid, which he accepts and starts to eat without a blink of an eye. I sit down across from him at my table.

“So what’s your name?” I ask.

“Harry. Yours?” The kid flicks some of his red curls out of his eyes.

“Maddie,” I say, sipping some orange juice.

“Oh my sister’s friend is named Maddie too. I never met her but my sister had described her as a very nice person,” he hesitates “I guess.” I can’t help but laugh at this stranger who showed up at my door not twenty minutes ago and is now eating pancakes at my kitchen table.