Unbreakable Promise

Amara was angry, hurt and devastated all at the same time. It had been weeks since her departure from Rivendell but nonetheless her emotions continued to fester and corrupt her. She no longer shimmered like thousands of tiny diamonds in the sunlight, her eyes were no longer irresistible gold orbs, and her tail no longer bore an arrangement of alluring gold scales. She was broken, damaged by the words and actions of a certain Dwarf King. His words hung over her like a storm cloud and as a result she was weakened. Her tail had whole scales missing (which she kept in her bag), and no longer resembled liquid gold when she moved, instead her tail had dulled to a pale greeny, blue and each one of her remaining scales had gone soft and started to peal. Her skin was burning hot to the touch, completely polar from what a cold blooded creature should be, and was a pale, nauseous orange colour. The sort of pale orange with makes you squirm and gag just at the sight of it. She no longer shone, and her eyes were no longer enthralling, instead they were empty pits of black. Her hair was dull and unkempt, grubby and slightly matted in places. Needless to say she was very ill, and wept regularly. A crying Mermaid is a bad omen, and every tear that left her eye would roll down her cheek and harden into droplets of a glass like substance of blue or green.

She thought often of the Company, praying that they were safe and well, but cursing their leader at the same time. Amara didn't know much about love and friendships, but from what she'd read in her small amount of time on land she was suffering from heartbreak, she knew this, but wasn't entirely sure why. The truth was, and although she refused to make the connection, she missed Thorin the most, she missed the one creature that hurt her the most.

"When you care about someone so deeply sometimes they do things that can hurt you."

Thorin's words plagued her thoughts, her head was a mess, she didn't understand and the harder she thought the more she cried. She missed him dearly, but he hurt her so much, and yet at the same time she wanted to be near him, be around him, have him laugh and pick her up like he did when she drew him a picture.

But she could be more stubborn than a Dwarf and refused to let herself fall in to what was undoubtedly a snare for emotions. Every day she hurt more and more and she knew her end was coming, however she knew why it was taking her so long to die and that was because she'd made a promise to protect Fili and Kili, and that sort of promise was not something Mermaid's did lightly. She had a commitment to the pair, and she was unable to just let that go, as a result she knew her death would be a slow and most certainly a painful one.

.

.

.

It wasn't every day you get chased out a cave network by goblins, nor is it that you are taken in the jaws of a warg and live to tell the tale.

That night on Carrock Thorin spent most the night thinking about Amara, he wished dearly that she was there with them, with him. He sat facing the Lonely Mountain and in his mind he imagined she was sitting next to him, yakking away about nonsense. If she was there he'd tell her about the goblins, he'd tell her about the Pale Orc, and he was sure she'd find the idea of giant Eagles simply wonderful. He imaged the way her eyes would light up at the mention of something new, and the way she'd stick her tongue out a little as she concentrated on listening. He imagined her laughing and grinning at him, and he imagined that when he'd tell her about his near death experience that she would be upset, he imagined her inner light would blow out and her dainty frown would grace her features. But then he'd hold her close, and watch as she lit back up and smile up at him. However, of course that was just his imagination.

It wasn't until then, it wasn't until her absence was really set in stone to Thorin that he realised just how much she had meant to him.

.