Chapter Fifteen

FIFTEEN

Luckily, due to Ethan coming home soon, the army are collecting mail twice a week and sending it to the soldiers in Afghanistan; I'm guessing this is because many people like to send letters to the soldiers to thank them for risking their lives and fighting for our countries. This also means that I can 'talk' to Ethan two times a week rather than once and I will not have to worry as much as I do in between letters due to the shorter wait – I can also fall in love with this man even more than I already have.

I picked up the newly received envelope that had a few patches of dirt on – Ethan was not as careful with his letters as I was with mine – and sat on my mattress, carefully unsealing the envelope. Pulling out the letter, a necklace fell out but I refused to look down at where it lay in my lap as I knew Ethan would have written about it in the letter – it would be a surprise until then.

"As we are coming home soon, I was given permission to send you my dog tags – I should not need it for the next three to four weeks and I thought it would have more use with you. They are almost like a promise; to let you know that I will be home for you; to remind you of me while I am not there. Yet again, I'm being all cheesy and corny but this is in good nature – I love you. I want these dog tags to be with you so that you can wear them and I will always be near your heart. They will protect you while I cannot."

Tears were endlessly streaming down my face. Ethan was always one step ahead and always knew exactly what to say to sneak his way further into my heart. I quickly picked up the dog tags that fell on my lap and slipped it over my neck. I held the tag in my hand, kissing it lightly and smiling directly at it – I loved him. I dropped the dog tags, letting them fall back onto my chest and placed my hand in my pocket to pull out the photo of Ethan I kept on me at all times; I remember Ethan said he did this with my photo that I sent him, too. He mentioned that it was his good luck charm and I couldn't help but agree – I was not always lucky but this picture always comforted me and allowed me to keep my head high and ignore everyone else when they are being negative.

"I'm looking up at the starts right now – no matter where we are we will always be looking at the same sky, sun, moon and stars. All of the stars are shining here and they are beautiful, yet none of them can compare to you."

He was so cheesy and I loved it. I had no idea if he came up with all these cute phrases or if he had taken them from one of the many silly books that his mother had sent him – either way, I loved them a lot. He knew exactly how to cheer me up and exactly how to make me feel special. I continued reading his letter, a huge smile on my face and my cheeks stained with tears.

"Among the many things my mother sent me, she sent me a new iPod so that I could listen to my music (finally I get real music! I've had to put up with Logan's constant whining that he calls 'singing'). On this iPod, she purchased Ed Sheeran's new album 'X' – I believe that Ed is such a musical and lyrical genius as nothing he creates is ever less than perfect. Anyway, two songs reminded me of you and me – Photograph and Tenerife Sea. You need to immediately listen to these songs, but for now I will highlight the lyrics you should focus on.

In Photograph,

'So you can keep me,

Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans,

Holding me closer 'til our eyes meet,

You won't ever be alone, wait for me to come home.' This reminded me of our relationship – there is no doubt that you keep the photograph of me near you at all times, just as I do. I will be home soon; home is where the heart is and my heart is with you.

Also, In Tenerife Sea,

'Cause all that you are is all that I'll ever need.' And this reminded me of how I feel about you, obviously. I don't think it needs any other explanation.