Into the Fire

"Kelly!" My mother called as I ran away from our apartment, that was the last thing I heard from her before I entered the cruel world that all the kids have referred to as the fire. The fire was a metaphor for the world, since it can burn you until your nothing but ashes of what you use to be. Nobody wanted that not even us, the kids who were forced to live up to our parents expectations but of course our parents didn't care if we weren't happy with ourselves even though it was their fault. I sighed as I reached the airport, it took me a day of jumping on and off of trucks and getting rides from complete strangers but I finally got here. I ran up to the flight board to try to find a plane that would be leaving for New York as soon as possible, when I found what i was looking for I went and bought a ticket since I was old enough to get on the plane by myself. I then went through all the safety checks since I only had two bags with me and the money I had been saving up for three years. I finally got to gate fifty-six and handed the kind lady my ticket before boarding, I was going to New York, my dream was coming true I thought as I sat down near a window and thought about what my mother told me before I left. She told me where ever I go I would always be a nobody, if you really want something you must be obedient and stay in line, no straying off, no thinking out side the box and no Rebelling on those superior then you. I balled my fists just thinking about her words, I was determined to never turn out like her, she gave up on the world a long time ago and became just like all those zombies who only have one goal and that's to be successful no matter if your doing what you hate to be successful. I looked out the window until I felt someone sit down next to me, I looked at him, he was around my age with black hair, blue eyes and glasses. He looked at me as well "Hello" he said with a smile "How are you?" he asked. I smiled back "Good I guess" he looked at me a bit more "Rough day?" he asked and I looked at him shocked "Yeah how did you know?" I asked and he pointed to my balled fists. "I had to get away from my parents...." I said and he nodded sighing "Me too" he said and I smiled at him "So where are you going once you get to New York?" He asked "I guess i'm going to rent a apartment" I said shrugging "How about we get a apartment together" He offered. I looked at him, he seemed trustworthy and he does understand my pain "okay" I said thinking it wouldn't be that bad, he smiled "great, maybe we can go job searching together" he suggested but I just looked out the window not saying another word.

The plane landed in New York late at night, Me and Derek got off the plane and headed out of the airport after grabbing our bags. We learned a lot about each other while we were on the plane, he was just like me, we both didn't want to turn out like our parents and we both Rebelled against those who told us to just be like everyone else. He hailed a taxi and we got in telling the driver to take us to the nearest hotel, when the driver started to drive we both looked out the window as we passed by cars, people, skyscrapers and the lovely lights. To be honest I was glad I left home, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to see such beauty that I'm seeing now "Wow...." I said amazed "Beautiful isn't it?" he asked and i nodded "I never been to a place anything like this" I said. I haven't left home before, I stayed in Philadelphia since that's all I ever known but i guess it was time to try new things. I looked at him as he muttered something I could hear clearly "What if everyone in those fancy business suits would just stop for a moment and travel back in time to when they were kids and just rebelled against all those they didn't want to be like instead of becoming them" he said. I thought "Then everyone would probably be better off then they are now" I said then he looked at me "Maybe....." he said as the Taxi driver stopped in front of a nice hotel. Derek paid the driver as we got out with our bags, then looked up at the big hotel amazed before we walked in. We went over to the receptionist and asked how much a room would cost a month, once she told us we booked at room that could handle how much we had until we got jobs. The lady handed us our room key then we got on the elevator pressing the second floor button. Once the elevator opened on the second floor we got out and went to room seventy-nine, he unlocked the door and we walked in. The apartment had two rooms and lot of space "Well this place isn't that bad" he said putting his bags down after closing the door. He then walked over to the couch and sat down running his fingers through his hair "No matter where we go we cant escape this world" he said "If all the Rebels team up we can put out the fire" I said. He looked at me "We're the water that can put out those flames if we all just come together" I said as I sat down next to him, he pulled me into a hug and whispered in my ear "Why did you trust me?" He asked. "Because......that look in your eyes.......It's a rebel look that i would know about" I said "and if we do put out this crazy world's Flame?" he asked "Then maybe we might live in a world where we can be ourselves......." I said and just by those simple words a uprising will soon come bringing all the rebels out of the darkness so we can all put out the fire that had turned half of the world into ashes of what they will always be but to do that we must all go into the fire.