CHAPTER 29

"I think that's everything," Connor said, placing the empty boxes in a pile so they would be easier to throw away.

"I think so." Faye had a big notepad on her hands and was checking things off of a list. "The remaining copies are at the back. The coffee machine should get here tomorrow, and the office's set up." She looked up. "Yeah, I think that should be it."

"Alright, so we'd be ready to open up on Wednesday?"

"Pretty much."

"Great. Great job guys."

"Alright. I'll go throw these boxes out. After that, I'm out."

"Fine. Faye and I will finish dusting everything up. I don't think you should come to work tomorrow, Connor. We're only missing the coffee machine and it's for us, so it won't be a great deal."

Faye went to the office to get the broom.

"Why don't you just open up tomorrow?"

"I wanna take tomorrow to make sure everything is in place. We've got all our paper, out receipts, our books, our pricing. It's more about the administrative stuff."

"I can help with that."

I smiled. "Don't worry little brother, I'm still paying you full week."

"Good to know but still. I just... I don't wanna be home all day tomorrow."

"Why?"

"Because... Nothing. Fine, if you don't want me to work tomorrow I won't. You the boss."

"Connor..." I was about to ask him about what he meant with not wanting to be home, but Faye came in with the broom and the duster.

"I'll get going. See later."

Connor picked up the few things he went to work with that day; his jacket and his phone, and left.

"Is everything okay?" Faye asked.

"I'm not sure." I turned to Faye and asked. "How are things with Scott?"

I didn't mean to sound bitter, but that is exactly what my voice projected. I suppose my feelings have more saying on my tone than my thoughts.

"Why would you wanna talk about it?"

"Because I want to know where we are."

Faye walked towards the office again and I followed. I closed the door behind me as she sat on the chair across from the desk. I sat on the one next to her.

"What do you want me to say? I would much rather not think about Scott."

"He's still your husband."

"You know why."

"Doesn't mean it hurts any less."

"But I love you!" She said placing her hand on mine.

"Yes, but that doesn't change anything either. You are still married to him and I am still just... what? Your mistress?"

She smirked, "You know in S&M Mistress would mean you have control over me," she raised a brow, she was trying to lighten things up.

"If I had control over you, you would leave Scott."

"And do what?"

"I don't know! Something. Something will come up, we can figure this out."

She smiled again, but this time, there was only tenderness in her lips. "I thought I was the positive one."

"Yeah, well, some must have rubbed on me over the years. Please, Faye. Leave him."