Chapter 5. Ouch

"You can't choose how you get hurt. But you can choose who hurts you"-Tfios

I stare at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing skinny jeans, a black shirt with a denim jacket along with combat boots. Eh, good enough. Grasping my bag, I make a run for the stairs to get to school.

"Young lady, I want to talk to you," someone says as I'm about to reach the door. I grimace, putting my hand down after halting. I was so not in the mood to talk to Dad.

"What?" I snapped, putting a hand on my hip.

"I really don't like when you talk to me like that," Dad grumbled.

"OH SO-"

"Shhh!!! Your sister is sleeping! She's got a job interiew today at this really great lawfirm. I do pray she'll make it, then again . . "

I purposefully zone out for a few minutes.

"Hello? Elle!" He groans.

"What?" I ask, snapping myself back into realiy.

"I asked you why you've been dressing so . . . not yourself lately," He muttered, not hesitating to give me a once over. I furrow my brows.

"What are you talking about?" I crossed my arms.

"All this apparal isn't you. Your sister knew how to dress all throughout high school and that never changed." He added.

I felt anger rise from my toes to my head. I was so close to just screaming every non-school mentionable word there was. I balled up my fists, trying to keep my cool.

"I'm late for school," And so I trudged out of the house, walking to school. I was so irritated with this stupid comparison I had with Eve! Granted I loved her as a sister, my dad made it really difficicult to want to love and cherish her.

Great, now I'm in a piss poor mood.

Can't he see that I'm just . . . me?

I continued to walk until I reached the parking lot where lots of students lounged around idlessly; talking with friends, smoking pot with friends, making out with "just friends".

I was in no mood to be social today-

"Elle!" Someone called. I froze. God I knew that voice. I continued to walk. I wasn't in the mood today. I shoved my hands in my pockets, and made my way towards the entrance, praying to the Lawd Jesus that he would let me walk away.

Footstep behind me told me that I wan't walking alone anymore.

His hand reached out on my shoulder, whizzing me around like I weighed no more than a feather.

"Elle, did you not hear me call you?" Tate asked, his eyes hardening. But today, that phony act of "Nothing Scares Me," just wasn't really working.

"No, I did," I replied nonchalantly. His eyes narrowed.

"Don't girlfriends usually come when their boyfriends call them over?" He asked, smirking lightly while shaking his hair from his face.

"Don't boyfriends normally take a hint when their girlfriend walks away from them?" I retorted, turning to continue my walk of annoyance. I could tell my words had no effect on him right now, like they ever did.

"Oh c'mon babe, don't get like that," He mock whined, pinching my cheeks.

Was it piss of Elle Reignor day?

Haughtily, I slapped his hand away with disdain.

"Hey, people are starting to stare," He whispered in my ear with annoyance that he didn't bother to hide. I scowled even harder, my knuckles crackling as I curled them together with ferocity in my jean pockets.