Chapter 4. Love Is A Space Opened Behind Your Back

She had something to confess to
But you don't have the time so
Look the other way
You will wait until it's over
To reveal what you'd never shown her
Too little much too late

Too long trying to resist it
You've just gone and missed it
It's escaped your world

[Three months later]

"And what do you think?" Hannibal asked when his companion entered the room.

A glass dining table had been set. It was time for a special feast. The unique opportunity to enjoy the allure of foreign cuisine as much as the thrill of disturbing conversations. The decorations were tastefully placed, the gourmet food full of fantasy and vision, the fruit colourful and tempting with a sweet smell, the main course—still to be served.

The table was meant to be a piece of art.

Will could feel the compelling ambience, filling the whole room like an invisible mist. He locked eyes with the other man, the one and only host of the most uncanny banquets. Matchless festivals for the world to witness. He only nodded his head slightly in approval.

The profoundness of bonding gives birth to the simplicity of gestures, Will.

"That's what I thought. You'll savour the final design I've composed even more, I believe," Hannibal assured, subtly animated now.

Will took a look around the parlour.

"I surely will," he hummed in reply.

Everything there spoke of excellence, all of the details carved with perfection. A meticulous scene to be a part of. Not only was the table's presentation fancy and ornate, but the entire space appeared to be a statement of elegance. The floor was black and glassy, walls golden with a gravelly texture and a tremendous crystal chandelier dangled from the ceiling. The lights were bright, a little yellowish. Balmy, almost soothing.

"It is all superbly beautiful, Hannibal," he admitted, calm and content.

For a second it felt like he was about to melt into the picture, and he truly wished for someone to frame it and sign it as an eternal moment of calming bliss. To Will's own surprise, he indeed felt at peace. Mostly.

"Thank you, Will. I tried my best. Please, forgive me, however, if you find it a bit overwhelming. I only wished for the ideal circumstances for this special occasion," Hannibal stated with a sense of urgency.

"I still don't know what this is all about," Will pointed out and his gaze went to Hannibal's face as the man smiled at him.

"Take a seat, please."

Will didn't have enough courage to refuse the offer. He positioned himself in the chair once he'd been precisely instructed where to sit because—as it turned out—the other had already made a special arrangement when it came to dining order. The chairs and their engravings were anything but tacky and simple, of course. Will sighed silently, having relaxed himself a bit.

"Tonight's the night, Will. Although I strongly hold onto my sublime tastes, today my message is rather uncomplicated. You recognise the dark and the light standing behind the curtains of all the refinement. I've got no reason for dishonesty where it concerns you, Will. You've looked through the veil and have seen it for real. For what it is." Hannibal was standing impassively on the other side of the table. He spoke in a deliberate manner and looked like a solid rock protruding from the horizon. Always perfectly intact, a mighty demigod who'd never felt abashed because of the true nature of his own beauty. Will shuddered, touched by the serene and severe darkness all at once. "Thanks to that, you and I are here together now. I've done numberless things for you, but also to you, not every each of them I am fully proud of. Still, I have no regrets. I only wish I could've done one thing in the past. I wish I had shown you my gratitude in a proper way. And because I am forever grateful that you're here with me now, please, accept this gift I'm about to give you."