~ 35 ~ A Millinery Intervention

It was three days before Lenesa mustered up enough courage to return to the city. She couldn't put it off any longer. There were still people who needed her help, and she had yet to find Gil.

Her heart thudded with every step she took—she knew it was a bad idea to return so soon. It was madness. And she almost wouldn't have gone, save for the fact that Kivirra had been right after all—after waking up that first morning, the lines on her arms had faded slightly, despite what had happened at the wall. It must have been an effect from healing spell Lenesa had cast on the boy. But as the days had worn on, the marks had grown back, and Lenesa was afraid she would start hearing that dark voice at the back of her mind again, egging her on to do some dark mischief.

So she parted with Shwei at the faerie ring at the base of the mountain, and set off for the city without a glance back. She was afraid that if she did look back, she would be tempted to turn around and go right back home. That Kettle would be disappointed there was still no rice would be the least of her worries.

Her steps slowed the closer she got to the city. What if the guards recognized her? What if she couldn't get in?

She faltered when her boot landed on a twig and snapped it in half with a loud crack. The sound echoed through the trees and sent her heart pounding in her chest. She couldn't do this. She had to go back—

"Who's there?"

Lenesa sucked in a startled breath. The voice was timid and sounded mildly frightened—whoever it was, they were out here on their own, and were well aware of the dangers they might encounter.

Something rustled in the bushes on Lenesa's right, and she spun to face the person, frozen in indecision on whether to run or fight. She could just make out their shape through the branches, and when the person stopped, it became apparent that they had noticed her, too.

"Lenesa? Lenesa, is that you?"

It was a shock to hear her name, but as her panic lessened, Lenesa realized she recognized the voice—it was the bookkeeper.

"It is—what are you doing out here?" she asked, barely daring to raise her voice above a whisper. It was late afternoon and the birds were happily twittering away in the trees, but she was still afraid of being discovered.

The man crashed through the bushes until they were face-to-face. Now that she could see him clearly, Lenesa noticed the way his clothes and hair were in disarray, his glasses askew and the lenses smudged. He clutched a shimmering sickle in his left hand, and a worn brown sack was tossed over his shoulder.

"How long have you been out here?" Lenesa asked, regarding the dried mud that splotched its way up the man's trousers. "What are you doing?"

The bookkeeper gave a faltering grin and shrugged against the sack on his shoulder. "Just helping the paper mill gather mulberry bark so they can make more paper for my books."

Lenesa's eyes narrowed. "The guards let you leave the city with that story?"

The bookkeeper looked rather pleased with himself. "It's worked for the past three days now."

Alarm flared up through Lenesa's veins at the admission, but she tamped it down. "Three days? Have you been looking for me?"

The bookkeeper's expression grew serious. "The people need you, Lenesa," he said. "But after your escape last time, security has tightened considerably. And now there have been rumors of a vicious red beast terrorizing unsuspecting households at night. You won't be able to get inside on your own like this." He gestured to her hooded attire. "They'll want to see your face."

Lenesa's grip tightened on the basket in her hands. She couldn't lower her hood. One look at the horrifying scar beneath her eye and the guards would know her as an outcast immediately.

"Here." The bookkeeper shifted the sack from his shoulder and began rummaging around inside with his free hand. Bits of mulberry twigs fell out as he pulled on a dark bit of fabric, which then came completely free in a shower of leaves.

"A hat?" Lenesa took a step back. Though a bit squished from its time in the bookkeeper's bag, the hat was in fairly good shape. Its wide brim slanted low in the front and would cast enough of Lenesa's face in shadow, but it would leave her neck exposed.

Self-consciously, she tugged at her collar. What other option did she have?

"Come on." The bookkeeper gently coaxed Lenesa into lowering her hood, and waves of charmed-brown hair spilled out around her shoulders.

"Should I pin it up?" Lenesa asked, bringing her hands up to shift her hair back. The styles of the ladies in the city were to flaunt elaborate updos, and it might look strange if her hair was down in comparison. But the bookkeeper shook his head.

"You'll be fine," he said with a small smile. "Not everyone has to conform to fashion, you know. You're free to wear your own style."

"I'm just worried it'll be too much of my own style," Lenesa muttered, pulling her cloak tighter around her shoulders even as the bookkeeper arranged the hat on her head. "If they recognize me for what I am..."

"There." The bookkeeper tilted the brim of the hat and stepped back, rubbing a hand across his graying beard as he assessed her appearance. "You look completely normal."

Lenesa felt her mouth twitch downwards even as she tried an appreciative smile. "You waited three days just to give this to me?"

He frowned back at her, pushing up his spectacles as he did so. "I was worried."

She swallowed the lump that had suddenly formed in her throat. "Thank you." Her words were no louder that the rustling of the leaves overhead, but somehow, the bookkeeper heard it, and returned the thanks with a smile.

"Come on." He slung the bag back over his shoulder and stuck out an elbow for her to take. "Allow me to escort you through the gate, milady."

Lenesa couldn't help a small laugh at his expense, but took the proffered arm and walked with him as they headed for the city.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm back!  Short chapter but the next one will be longer (I think).  I'd love to hear your thoughts on the bookkeeper!  

After much googling, I think the hat I'm thinking of is a black organza Kentucky Derby-ish wide-brimmed thingy.  But now that Wattpad wants me to upload all my own photos instead of just posting a link, I'll leave it to your imaginations, or Google.  Did you have a different hat in mind?  Let me know!

Thanks for reading, and please vote if you enjoyed!