Chapter Three - Little Ginny Was A Miracle

Chapter Three – Little Ginny Was A Miracle

“Age?"

“18,” I answered. Since we were going to be roommates, I'd figured we should get to know each other a bit more than the basics. That being said, all we'd covered so far was: our high school GPA (mine was 4.6, his was 5.0); favorite sport (mine was eating, his was soccer); and our life goals (mine was either the eradication of all fro-yo people - he did not appreciate this one -  or to write a book, his was to graduate college).

“I'm 19. Uh… Natural hair color?”

“Blonde. Like a caramel-y color.”

“Well, this is my natural hair color.”

“What about… favorite book?”

“I don’t read," he said nonchalantly, as if he hadn't just dissed the third most important thing in my life (the first obviously being ice cream, the second being a tossup between my family and my hair).

I stopped midstep, my jaw dropping. “Did you just…?”

“Reading is boring.” He shrugged. “What’s the big deal, Lilac?”

“Reading is my life.”

“I thought that was ice cream,” he said, throwing up his hands in exasperation. “God, woman, you’re so confusing!”

“Yes, yes, I realize, but I don’t think you understand the actual concept of reading-”

“How don’t you understand reading? You look at words and you understand their meanings to outline a story. It’s used as a basis for enjoyment while I find it tedious and rather annoying.” He slapped shut his sunglasses (no, they did not make him look totally handsome and badass), accentuating the end point.

“You… sounded smart there for a second.” Maybe he actually earned that 5.0 GPA...

He winked at me, making me roll my eyes, “I know, I’m the entire package. Gorgeous, strong, athletic, intelligent-“

“-And a crappy personality. Grab a cart.” He followed my demand, and then set off down… the frozen food’s aisle. “FINN! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” I shouted, making just about everyone turn to look at me in alarm. “Oops. Nothing to see here! The poor man doesn’t understand how to grocery shop!” I announced before yanking on Finn’s arm to guide him to the fruit and vegetable area. “Damn, Finn, I didn’t think you were this bad!”

“What are you talking about, Lilac?”

I stopped him, placing my hands on my hips as I attempted to stare down the fro-yo guy. “Frozens are last, Finn. You don’t want them melting!”

He frowned. “How long do you plan to stay here?”

“Well… I’m needed for babysitting at about… six? So about two hours.”

He looked horrified. “Damnit, Lilac, this isn’t your prom dress. It’s just food-“

“Just food? JUST FOOD?” An elderly lady gave me a look for shouting, and I turned to her to say, “He’s saying that we shouldn’t buy actual baby food!” She gasped, and turned her disapproving gaze onto a shocked Finn. “I can’t believe you, hun! You said we would do everything for little Ginny!”

The look on his face made me wish I had my camera out. “She’s kidding, I swear-“ He started to explain himself to the judgmental lady.

“You should be nicer to the mother of your child!” She chided him before walking away.