Twelve

As much as he hated it, he knew it was bound to happen.

He knew he wasn't safe with Tom, which is why he wasn't surprised when two no-name soldiers found the apartment that night, slaughtered the only three who had accepted him, and took him back to the base.

Tord remembered the feeling of Tom's careful embrace being torn away from his back, pressing scratches into his stomach as Tom tried to stay there, to stay alive.

But that was months ago. Tord didn't let himself care about it anymore.

The soldiers and personell were surprisingly accepting of the pregnancy once he had returned. Even Jan, who had grown to resent the idea of another man in Tord's life.

Tord fell back in love with Jan, having missed how sweet and compassionate the Finnish man was. It was clear that even through the things he saw Tord do, Jan clearly had never stopped loving Tord. They were nearly inseparable.

Jan took care of him through the last months of the pregnancy, and his daughter had been born perfectly healthy, Jan choosing the name.

Adelaide Petra Larssin-Wolkaburr. Tord had never heard a more beautiful name in his life. As much as he loved "Maggie", that name was a thing of the past, and the past was to be forgotten.

Now, she was under the watchful eyes of Paul and Patryck - Tord needed to give a speech to his beloved army, and couldn't have the baby causing a scene at the podium. As much as he loved Addie, she had no place in the business side of his life.

With Adelaide, Jan, and his soldiers, he was finally complete again.

He was on the concrete balcony that overlooked the training room, where he had called the meeting. He was going to go over simple things - the war plan for that month, the status of the enemy, things of that sort.

The balcony itself was simple - no seats, no ornate flooring, and no gaps in the concrete front of it. Nobody could see Tord from the chest down, and he thanked the builders for that, as it hid his fidgeting.

He cleared his throat and shifted the notecards in his hands, looking down at the myriads of soldiers standing below him. The speech was simple, but he couldn't help but feel uneasy as he spoke.

He continued to speak regardless, beaming with pride for his army and for his return.

"Good morning, soldiers! I am pleased to say that the war report is looking up for this month, and we may be out of the woods soon. Don't contact your families yet, but you may want to start planning where you'll meet them once we disband."

Without a warning, something touched his foot, pressing down on his shoe. He looked down, finding nothing. Hell, the base was full of rats. Disgusting creatures, but nothing to worry about, so he picked up where he left off.

"The blue army hasn't moved from their base to attack in a few days, which is a cause for concern. Rest assured that our lookouts are watching for any advances so we'll be prepared, if they have anything planned, that is."

The air around him on the balcony grew cold, and he tensed, but continued. They were waiting on him, and he couldn't fuck up his first meeting like this!

After a few minutes of that bone chilling cold, another tap on his foot.

He ignored it and continued, knowing nothing would be there.

Then, he felt it - a cold grasp on the back of his leg, holding tight enough to pull Tord from the podium. He shut up and looked down, his breathing ragged with fear.

Holding his leg, on all fours, was a person. Their body was contorted to be hidden from the balcony view. Their wrists were bony and pale, and they were wearing a red army uniform.