Unlocking Wonderland

“Daddy it’s beautiful!”

“So you like it?” he asks, worry present in his voice.

I looked over my shoulder and gave him a kiss, “I love it!”

I looked back to the framed photo of five year old me and him, the frame was simply painted with soft pink fading into white, on the top left was a heart shaped lock and on the bottom right was an actual gold skeleton key.

Key...

 “The keys back then are so big, aren’t they daddy?” I asked him once when we went to a museum where they were showing off the evolution of keys, such simple things that can hide huge secrets- secrets that can ruin and build nations.

“Good thing there weren’t cars back then.” He joked making me laugh.

Keys...

“You are not to go out of this house, do you hear me Keyana? Not a foot or a toe.”

“But daddy-“

“And that boy? That boy that keeps on dropping by here every damn afternoon will quit.”

“He’s my friend dad, if you’d only let me talk to him-“

“He’s only your friend until he gets exhausted and quit. They all do.”

“He wouldn’t if you’d just let me see him-“

“No!” I flinched back, never seeing my dad this angry, the keys on his hands shook, “Now go to your room and don’t come out unless I told you so.”’

“But-“

“Now Keyana!” he shouted again, making me move away. “And don’t dare try to talk to him through your window, or else I’ll board it up as well.”

I frowned as he turned and left, keys in hand still jingling.

Lots and lots of keys…

Keys that had locked the world outside and kept me in.