Chapter 74

I sat with my knees to my chest as I drank my smoothie and watched the tele with Harry in our tele-room. We cuddled close together as we both focused on the screen in front of us. We were both quite tense as we watched the movie, which startled us both. The Shining, while although a classic movie, was a quite scary movie. Harry would flinch whenever Jack Nicholson would laugh maniacally or would smirk in a creepy way. I found it quite amusing that Harry found the movie pretty scary; I loved to laugh at his expense.

“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. You didn’t let me finish my sentence. I said, I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just going to bash your brains in.” Jack Torrance seethed at his wife as he slowly chased her up the stairs.

“Oh fuck.” Harry cursed.

I chuckled, continuing to watch as Wendy swung her bat at him until she hit his hand and then head. He went tumbling down the stairs and lay there unconscious. Harry shouted at the tele, “Run, Wendy! Just run!”

I chuckled at his expense, shaking my head at how girly and childish he could be. He clung onto my arm, luckily it wasn’t the one that was holding onto my smoothie, and so I was still able to drink it just fine. I drank as I watched Jack being dragged across the floor of the kitchen.

“Why the fuck did you make me watch this movie?” Harry hissed at me.

“Because it’s good.” I half-lied. I also made him watch it because I knew it would scare the shit out of him. There was nothing more life affirming.

Harry kept clinging onto me as we sat beside each other. Harry sat resting against the back of the couch with his legs spread so that I could sit between them, resting my back against Harry’s chest. He had his arms wrapped around me, his chin on my shoulder to watch the screen in front of us. Although he was afraid, he was still like my rock; he kept me warm and made me feel protected.

I smiled and leaned further back against Harry, just happy to have him in my life. Those months that I had been kidnapped and taken away from Harry were much harder on me than I had initially noticed. I became much more dependent on Harry and our relationship. I needed him and I doubted that I could live without him.

When Danny Torrance started to chant Redrum in his creepy voice, Harry cursed, “I can’t fucking do this. This is so fucking weird. I’m going to go get a beer and I’ll be back.”

I got up so that he could. He left the room and I laughed to myself. He was so childish, but I loved him for it. I sat back down, chugged the rest of my smoothie and watched the movie.

“Monreau? You in here?” Jeannie asked from outside in the hallway.

“Y-yep.” I called back, keeping my eyes glued to the tele.

“What are you doing?” she asked as she walked into the room, as I heard. “Oh, The Shining, classic movie.”

“Yeah. It’s g-great, but Harry is f-freaked out of his m-mind.” I said, still watching the tele as Danny wrote Redrum in lipstick on the door.

“Really? Should I scare him?” Jeannie whispered, as if afraid she would be doing something bad. Being a girlfriend of a gang member, you would think that she would be used to doing bad things, but she’s a goody-two-shoes.

“W-would you?” I asked of her, smirking to myself.

“Yes. That would be so much fun.” Jeannie said with a devilish smile. I had never seen her wear a sly grin, but it looked good on her. Maybe it was because of her thin lips that she looked so sly, but she looked cute when she looked bad.